1988 Regulations Pertaining To Underground Storage Tanks
2015 Underground Storage Tank Regulations
Code of Federal Regulations: The federal regulations concerning underground storage tanks (USTs) are contained in 40 CFR Part 280, 40 CFR Part 281, and 40 CFR Parts 282.50-282.105. The list of hazardous substances is in 40 CFR Part 302.4.
UST Notification Form
40 CFR 280.22 (Notification Requirements) requires that within 30 days of bringing an UST into use, UST system owners must submit a notification form (EPA Form 7530-1) (PDF) (5 pp, 102K, About PDF) to the designated state or local agency or department. Since publication of the 1988 regulations, the form has been periodically modified.
40 CFR Part 280
- PART 280-TECHNICAL STANDARDS AND CORRECTIVE ACTION REQUIREMENTS FOR OWNERS AND OPERATORS OF UNDERGROUND STORAGE TANKS (UST)
- Subpart A - 280.10-280.12 - Program Scope and Interim Prohibition
- Subpart B - 280.20-280.22 - UST Systems: Design, Construction, Installation and Notification
- Subpart C - 280.30-280.36 - General Operating Requirements
- Subpart D - 280.40-280.45 - Release Detection
- Subpart E - 280.50-280.53 - Release Reporting, Investigation, and Confirmation
- Subpart F - 280.60-280.67 - Release Response and Corrective Action for UST Systems Containing Petroleum or Hazardous Substances
- Subpart G - 280.70-280.74 - Out-of-Service UST Systems and Closure
- Subpart H - 280.90-280.116 - Financial Responsibility
- Subpart I - 280.200-280.230 - Lender Liability
- Industry Codes and Standards (although these are not themselves Federal regulations, compliance with these standard industry codes of practice is mandated)
40 CFR Part 281
- PART 281-APPROVAL OF STATE UNDERGROUND STORAGE TANK PROGRAMS
- Subpart A - 281.10-281.12 - Purpose, General Requirements and Scope
- Subpart B - 281.20-281.24 - Components of a Program Application
- Subpart C - 281.30-281.39 - Criteria for No Less Stringent
- Subpart D - 281.40-281.43 - Adequate Enforcement of Compliance
- Subpart E - 281.50-281.51 - Approval Procedures
- Subpart F - 281.60-281.61 - Withdrawal of Approval of State Programs
- Preamble to 40 CFR 281
40 CFR Part 282
- PART 282-APPROVED UNDERGROUND STORAGE TANK PROGRAMS
- Subpart A - General Provisions
- Subpart B - 282.50-282.105 - Approved State Programs
40 CFR Part 302
- PART 302-DESIGNATION, REPORTABLE QUANTITIES, AND NOTIFICATION
- 302.4 Designation of hazardous substances
Proposed and final federal UST regulations are published in the Federal Register. Unlike the CFR, Federal Register notices contain additional text that explains the rationale behind a proposed or final regulation. This additional text, referred to as the "Preamble," may be very helpful in understanding the regulation.
This compendium contains questions and answers that interpret the 1988 UST regulations.
The Underground Storage Tank (UST) Docket provides public access to information supporting the EPA's regulatory actions (1985-1998) on underground storage tanks.
Federal UST regulations often require that industry codes and standards be followed (where applicable) to ensure that the UST system works properly.