Pesticides and Food:
Types of Pesticides on Foods
Pesticides are used to protect food from pests, such as insects, rodents, weeds, mold, and bacteria.
Pesticides used on food include:
- insecticides to control insects
- rodenticides to control rodents
- herbicides to control weeds
- fungicides to control mold and fungus
- antimicrobials to control bacteria
For more information on food and other uses of pesticides, explore these links:
- Citizen's Guide to Pest Control and Pesticide Safety - understanding control of household pests; alternatives to chemical pesticides; how to reduce exposure; how to handle an emergency; how to choose a pest control company; and address lists of EPA Regional Offices and State pesticide agencies
- Public Health Pesticides - Antimicrobial Fact Sheet
- EPA is encouraging the innovation of safe biological pesticides, also known as biopesticides.