Web-Distributed Labeling Workgroup
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
This page describes activities of the Web-Distributed Labeling Workgroup, which works through the Pesticide Program Dialogue Committee (PPDC) to ensure the most current version of pesticide labeling is available to purchasers and users electronically.
On This Page
- Draft Pesticide Registration Notice
- User Acceptance Pilot
- Workgroup Focus
- Workgroup Members
- Meeting Dates & Issue Papers
- More Information
Based on the input and advice of the PPDC Web-Distributed Labeling Workgroup, EPA is interested in conducting a “User Acceptance Pilot” to research the extent to which users would accept a system requiring them to obtain labeling via the Internet. The specific goal of the pilot is to determine whether the benefits of web-distributed labeling would be sufficiently appealing to users that they would be willing to visit a website to obtain labeling for a pesticide product. The pilot would demonstrate how users could access labeling information using the website and would not involve the actual distribution to users of actual pesticide product labeling that would rely on the web-distributed labeling approach.
Some current labeling problems exist due to a number of factors, including multiple goals for labeling; a paper-based submission, review and distribution system; product-by-product reviews by varying individual reviewers; changing standards of acceptability; resource constraints; and delay in getting new labels out to the public. These factors and others have made labeling complex and difficult to navigate for the public, users, states, registrants and other partners. Through stakeholder engagement, and internal and external review processes, we have developed a three-pronged approach to address these issues:
- electronic submission and review
- systematic improvement of content
- electronic dissemination of labeling
Our vision is to supply a streamlined system in which registrants will be able to submit product labeling electronically. The Pesticide Program will process the labeling internally using electronic means, and end-users will retrieve labeling via the Internet.
The last part of our projected process is to make the most current version of pesticide labeling available to purchasers and users electronically. To better define this issue, EPA and PPDC formed a workgroup. Members of this group met with stakeholders and drafted several issue papers. The issue papers capture as many perspectives as possible and outline legal and policy issues to be considered before developing a proposal to implement web distribution of labeling.
The Web-Distributed Labeling Workgroup discussed the following issues:
- What products should be eligible for a Web-distributed labeling program?
- What content should be on the Web site vs. the container?
- How should outreach and education be conducted to inform stakeholders (e.g. users, dealers, registrants, educators) about implementation of web-distributed labeling?
- What functionalities are necessary for the Web-distributed labeling Web site?
- Who should host the Web site for Web-distribution of labeling?
- How will Web-distributed labeling be delivered to users without internet access?
- Should a downloaded version of labeling have a life span and how long should it be effective?
- What are the goals of a Web-distribution of labeling program and how will they be assessed?
- Maria Herrero, Valent BioSciences Corporation
Chemical Industry/ Trade Associations
- Cindy Baker, Exigent Company
- Sue Crescenzi, Steptoe & Johnson
- James Thrift, Agricultural Retailers Association
- Susan Ferenc, DVM, Ph.D., Chemical Producers & Distributors Association
- Ray McAllister, Crop Life America
- Chris Howard, Syngenta
- Doug Soper, PBI/Gordon
- David Granoff, Wilbur Ellis
- Mark Trostle, UAP
Chemical Industry/ Trade Associations - Consumer Product Focus
- Allen James, Responsible Industry for a Sound Environment
- Phil Klein, Consumer Specialty Products Association
- James H. Wallace, Jr., Scotts Company
- Jim Gray, N.D. Dept of Ag
- Regina Sarracino, CalDPR
- Daniel Kass, NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- Rodney Guske, Yakama Nation
- Dr. Catherine Daniels, Washington State University (AAPSE)
- Jerry Baron, IR-4
- Dr. Mark Whalon, Michigan State University
- Vicki Cassens, NPIRS
Environmental / Public Interest Groups
- Moira McKernan, American Bird Conservancy
- Adriane Busby, Farmworker Justice Fund
- Sheryl Kinickis, Teung Chin, USDA
- Tyler Wegmeyer, American Farm Bureau Federation
- Lori A. Berger, Ph.D., California Specialty Crops Council
- Daniel Botts, Florida Fruit & Vegetable Association
- Cannon Michael, California Cotton Growers Association
- Scott Schertz, Schertz Aerial Service, Inc. & National Agricultural Aviation Association
- Robert Rosenberg, National Pest Management Association
- November 30, 2010
- Agenda (PDF) (1 p, 15.25K)
- Draft - Web Distributed Use-Directions (PDF) (11 pp, 553K)
- Final - Web Distributed Use-Directions (PDF) (11 pp, 525K)
- Industry Letter (PDF) (2 pp, 14.93K)
- WDL Letter (PDF) (2 pp, 41.79K)
- User Acceptance of Streamlined Web-Distributed Labeling Survey (PDF) (17 pp, 105.26K)
- User Acceptance of Streamlined Web-Distributed Labeling Survey Tool (PDF) (7 pp, 1,021K)
- October 13, 2009
- September 17, 2009
- July 22, 2009
- Web-Distribution of Labeling Work Group Discussion Paper Website Hosting (PDF) (5 pp, 40.24K)
- PRISM Structured e-Label (PDF) (3 pp, 22.82K)
- e-Label Field Structure Requirements (PDF) (49 pp, 1.70MB)
- June 23, 2009
- Discussion Paper - Enforcement of Web-Distributed Labeling (PDF) (9 pp, 52K)
- PRISM Structured e-Label (PDF) (3 pp, 23.25K)
- e-Label Field Structure Requirements (PDF) (60 pp, 1.70MB)
- April 21, 2009
- Crop Data Management Systems, Inc. (PDF) (25 pp, 546K)
- Electronic Labeling and Structured Label Content (PDF) (30 pp, 990K)
- Agrian Report (PDF) (18 pp, 604.84K)
- The Greenbook Group, Chemical Data Delivery Solutions (PDF) (16 pp, 2.42MB)
- Kelly Registration Systems, Inc., Web Distributed Labeling (PDF) (27 pp, 710.04K)
- National Pesticide Information Retrieval System (PDF) (20 pp, 595.55K)
- March 12, 2009
- February 3, 2009
- Document Labels Workflows (PDF) (22 pp, 250K)
- January 9, 2009
- October 29, 2008
- Scope of Web-Distributed Labeling (PDF) (10 pp, 82K)
- Container- Affixed Label and Web-Distributed Labeling (PDF) (6 pp, 75K,)
- October 2, 2008