Bed Bugs in Schools
March 19, 2015 | 2 - 3:30 PM Eastern - Register Now!
Bed bugs continue to show up in schools across the nation. Their arrival can cause headaches for everyone from the administration to the nurse and facility manager. This presentation discusses the challenges bed bugs present and your important role in protecting the students and staff. Bed bugs are uniquely different from most indoor pests. Few pests evoke such strong emotional responses and present such a management challenge. Successful bed bug management requires a proactive strategy and begins by engaging and educating the entire school community on how to recognize and stop them. Explore with us your role in a district-wide bed bug action plan.
Round out your bed bug education by reviewing prevention and control tactics that are consistent with the smart, sensible, and sustainable guidelines of a school Integrated Pest Management program. Join us and become empowered to help keep bed bugs out of your school!
The webinar will feature:
• Dini Miller, Ph.D., Virginia Tech’s Urban Pest Management Laboratory
• Susan Jennings, EPA’s Public Health Liaison
• Marcia Anderson, Ph.D., EPA’s Center of Expertise for School IPM
This second offering on bed bugs is part of a webinar series sponsored by EPA’s Center of Expertise for School IPM to help school districts adopt a proactive approach to pest control by offering information on Integrated Pest Management. Space is limited to the first 1,000 to register.
Contending with Vertebrate Pests Around Schools
March 31, 2015 | 2 - 3:30 PM Eastern - Register Now!
This presentation discusses the challenges that large vertebrate pests present and some tried-and-true ways to deter them from your school buildings and grounds. The webinar will include a brief overview of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and how the control of vertebrate mammals around schools should be a part of an overall IPM program. Specific problems with squirrels, raccoons, foxes, deer and feral cats will be discussed along with solutions to the difficulties caused by these opportunistic pests.
The featured speakers will be:
• Stephen Van Tassel, PhD, University of Nebraska, author, consultant and wildlife expert
• Mark Hardin, IPM Specialist of Howard Co. (Maryland) Public School System
• Marcia Anderson, Ph.D., EPA Center of Expertise for School IPM
Space is limited to the first 500 to register.
- Webinar - Dealing with Nuisance Birds Around Schools - February 24, 2015
- Webinar - Keeping Rodents Out of Your School - January 27, 2015
- Webinar - Bed Bugs in Schools - December 16, 2014
- Webinar - The Basics of Schools IPM - October 21, 2014
- Webinar - Creating Tick Safe Schools Using IPM - September 30, 2014
- Webinar - School Community Mosquito IPM - September 10, 2014
- Webinar: In-house Bed Bug Prevention and Management Plan: Research Update from Virginia Tech - September 10, 2014
- Workshops - Learn How to Get Rid of Pests
EPA's Office of Children's Health Protection and the National Center for Healthy Housing are sponsoring two Learn How to Get Rid of Pests workshops in Washington, DC. The workshops will take place at the District of Columbia Department of the Environment on May 17, 2013 and at the Benning Road Public Library Community May 18, 2013.
- Webinar - Understanding Bed Bugs in Schools - April 25, 2013
EPA and the National Pest Management Association will co-host the webinar, Understanding Bed Bugs in Schools. Presentations will describe proactive steps, such as how to plan for bed bugs, and how to manage bed bug hot spots in schools. Please take a moment to register for the webinar.
- Webinar - Integrated Pest Management in Schools - March 6, 2013
EPA to host Webinar, Integrated Pest Management in Schools: Protecting Children in Schools from Pests and Pesticides, on, 2-3 PM EST as part of the Department of Education’s Green Strides webinar series. This webinar that will cover how to establish a school IPM program and tips for practical application of school IPM strategies.
- Conference - 2013 Tick-Borne Disease IPM Conference - March 5-6, 2013
The Environmental Protection Agency and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will co-host a conference on Tick-Borne Disease Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in Arlington, VA. The conference will bring together representatives from numerous federal, state and local agencies, academia, and stakeholders to discuss the current state of IPM for the management of tick-borne diseases. March 5 is for federal partners only while March 6 is open to all interested parties.
- Webinar - Bed Bugs Go to School - June 18, 2012
EPA Region 2 is offering a free webinar on bed bugs in schools from 1:00-2:30 pm (EDT) on June 18, 2012. This presentation will discuss why bed bugs are such a challenge and how you can be proactive. The presentation will review how and where to inspect for bed bugs, how to manage bed bugs with IPM tactics; and bed bug prevention. Reserve your seat now!
- Webinar - IPM in Child Care Centers: Protecting Children from Pests and Pesticides - April 24, 2012
EPA's Office of Pesticide Programs and Office of Children's Health Protection are offering a free webinar on Integrated Pest Management and Child Care Settings. This webinar will provide information on how child care programs can reduce exposure to pests and pesticides by addressing the underlying conditions that can lead to pest infestations rather than relying on pesticides for control of pests such as cockroaches, rodents, ants and flying insects