School IPM Webinar Series
Are you a school facility manager, IPM Coordinator, building and grounds supervisor, nurse, administrator, or pest management professional? If so, you play a critical role in reducing the number of pests in your school and in minimizing the exposure of students and staff to pesticides. To help you be better prepared to fill your role, EPA's Center of Expertise for School IPM will host a series of webinars in the coming months on pest management topics of special interest to the school community. These monthly webinars, beginning on August 20, 2014, will include presentations from experts in the field.
Creating Tick Safe Schools Using IPM
September 30, 2014 | 2 PM Eastern
Register Now to learn more about this increasingly important pest and what you can do to reduce the risk to students, faculty and staff in schools.
- Thomas Mather, University of the Rhode Island Center for Vector Borne Diseases, will discuss tick borne diseases and prevalence, the identification, inspection and removal of ticks,and the Tick Encounter web resource.
- Marcia Anderson, EPA's School IPM Center of Expertise, will review passive prevention using landscape design, sanitation, maintenance, the Agency's role in tick IPM, and on how to incorporate tick prevention into your school IPM plan.
- Kathy Murray, Maine Department of Agriculture, will discuss the importance of monitoring, repellents, active prevention using pesticidal tools, research, and information resources.
- Christine Dunathan, Friends Community School (College Park, MD), will discuss real world school tick issues and first-hand challenges with tick management.
- A Q&A session will conclude the webinar.
Registration information will be provided soon along with additional information on these upcoming webinars:
- The Basics of School IPM - October 21, 2014 | 2 PM Eastern
- Managing Outdoor Pests of Schools Using IPM - November 18, 2014 | 2 PM Eastern
- Bed Bugs in Schools - December 16, 2014 | 2 PM Eastern
- Keeping Rodents Out of Your School - January 27, 2014 | Noon Eastern
- Dealing with Nuisance Birds Around Schools - February 24, 2015 | 2 PM Eastern
School Community Mosquito IPM
August 20, 2014 | 2 PM Eastern
Please join us for a 1 hour webinar on School Community Mosquito IPM followed by a 20 minute Q&A session. This presentation is geared to school facility managers, buildings and grounds managers and staff, childcare facility managers, and school IPM professionals. School nurses and school administrators are also welcome to attend.
This webinar will present information on disease vectors of concern, their biology, integrating mosquito management into a School IPM plan, and a decision-making rationale for deploying pesticides for mosquito management. Preferred mosquito breeding and feeding habits will be identified followed by a discussion of habitat modification including source reduction, sanitation, and maintenance to prevent mosquito borne diseases. Common biological controls will also be introduced, especially for school rain gardens, cisterns and other water collection areas. This will be followed by a discussion on mechanical devices and pesticides including larvicides, insect growth regulators, and adulticides. The speakers will be:
- Mike Merchant (Texas A&M AgriLife Extension)
- Joe Conlon (American Mosquito Control Association
- Marcia Anderson (EPA Center of Expertise for School IPM)