School IPM Webinar Series
Are you a school facility manager, IPM Coordinator, building and grounds supervisor, nurse, administrator, or pest management professional? If so, you play a critical role in reducing the number of pests in your school and in minimizing the exposure of students and staff to pesticides.
To help you be better prepared to fill your role, EPA's Center of Expertise for School IPM is hosting a series of webinars on pest management topics of special interest to the school community. These webinars, which began in August 2014, feature presentations from pest management experts and professionals from the school community.
February 24, 2015 | 2 - 3:30 PM Eastern - Register Now!
All over the nation, birds of all shapes and sizes attempt to make schools a their favorite hangout. Their arrival can lead to sanitation issues, added facility degradation, distracted students and health problems. They can cause headaches for everyone from teachers to facility managers. This presentation discusses the challenges that avian pests present and some tried-and-true ways to deter them from your school buildings and grounds. The webinar will include a brief overview of Integrated Pest Management and how bird management should be a part of an overall IPM program. The health and related sanitation issues caused by birds will be presented followed by a discussion of issues with birds and buildings, focusing on bird exclusion tactics for school facilities. Specific problems with sparrows, starlings, pigeons, vultures, osprey and gulls will be discussed along with solutions to the difficulties caused by these opportunistic avian pests. Management tips for Canada geese will also be provided.
- Mark Hardin, IPM Specialist, Howard Co. (Maryland) Public School System
- Dan Lisenko, Grounds and Maintenance Manager, Manatee Co. (Florida) Public Schools
- Lynn Braband, Community IPM Educator, Cornell University
- Marcia Anderson, Ph.D., EPA’s Center of Expertise for School IPM
Please check back for additional information on these upcoming webinars:
- Bed Bugs in Schools (second offering) – March 19, 2015 | 2 PM Eastern
- Managing Outdoor Vertebrate Pests at Schools - March 31, 2015 | 2 PM Eastern
- Avoiding Stinging Insects in School Environments - April 21, 2015 | 2 PM Eastern
- School Turf and Landscape Pest Management - TBD
These links will lead you to the recordings, questions and answers, related resources, and participation information for our past webinars:.