EPA Plain Writing Initiative
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Plain Writing Act Annual Report
April 13, 2012
- Senior Agency Official for Plain Writing
Eric E. Wachter
Office of the Executive Secretariat
- The EPA has an online training for all employees who produce documents for the public and for any employee who would like to be trained in plain writing.
- The EPA offers classroom workshops and training sessions for interested employees.
- Ongoing compliance/sustaining change
- Each national-program and regional office has appointed a designated official for plain writing. See appendix.
- With institutional knowledge of the unique processes and various documents produced in their offices, these designated officials have implemented processes for ongoing compliance.
- These processes include communications officials’ approval of documents; multi-level managerial review for plain writing; designating plain-writing coordinators in individual offices; and refresher training courses.
- Many offices had existing plain-writing procedures already in place to satisfy existing executive order and administrative orders.
- The senior official for plain writing and the designated officials meet to oversee compliance.
- Agency’s plain-writing website
EPA Plain Writing Designated Officials
Office of Administration and Resource Management
Office of the Administrator
Office of Air and Radiation
Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance
Office of Environmental Information
Office of the Chief Financial Officer
Office of the General Counsel
Office of International and Tribal Affairs
Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention
Office of Research and Development
Office of Water