Environmental Geo-Technologies, L.L.C.
Phillippa Cannon firstname.lastname@example.org
312-353-6218 or 800-621-8431, Ext. 36218
For information regarding these permits, please contact:
Allan Batka email@example.com
312-353-7316 or 800-621-8431, Ext. 37316
Status of Underground Injection Control Program Decision
EPA reviewed all comments we received on the draft permits, prepared responses to these comments and issued a final decision.
EPA hosted two informal meetings at the Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport Hotel (formerly the Crowne Plaza Hotel) in Romulus, Michigan on Monday, May 16, 2011 and a public hearing at the same location on Tuesday, May 17.
EPA accepted comments on the proposed permits for EGT to operate the Romulus injection wells until June 29, 2011 (midnight postmark).
People who submitted comments on the draft decision will have the right to petition EPA's Environmental Appeals Board to review any condition of the final permit decision. See below for more information about the appeal process.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view many of the files on this page.
See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
In 2011 EPA issued permits with strict operating conditions to Environmental Geo-Technologies (EGT). The EPA has completed its review of all documentation regarding EGT’s requirements to receive authorization to inject waste into two wells. All permit conditions have been met and EPA has issued written approval to EGT for injection into the wells. The company wants to reopen two existing commercial hazardous waste injection wells at 28470 Citrin Drive in Romulus, Michigan. The company has also received an air permit and a license to operate the hazardous waste facility from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality. The injection wells would be used to dispose of liquid waste from sources approved by EPA.
Note: Documents related to the Environmental Disposal System UIC permits and the Romulus facility's land ban exemption are on the EDS Web page. The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality also maintains web pages related to this site.
For more detailed information, see the boxes to the right.
- Authorization to Inject letter EGT (PDF) (3pp, 237KB) November 12, 2013
- Authorization to Inject letter enclosure (PDF) (24pp, 1MB) November 12, 2013
- Authorization to Inject Source Approval letter (PDF) (3pp, 42KB) June 5, 2013
- Authorization to Inject Source Approval Letter enclosure (PDF) (12pp, 1MB) June 5, 2013
- EPA Inspection Report (PDF) (6pp, 157KB) June 26, 2013
- EPA Inspection Report (PDF) (2pp, 68KB) August 8, 2013
- EPA Inspection Sam Williams (PDF) (3pp, 171KB) August 8, 2013
- Fresh Water Approval letter (PDF) (1pp, 142KB) August 2013
- Mechanical Integrity Test Procedure Approval (PDF) (2pp, 65KB) November 2012
- Source Approval letter (PDF) (3pp, 316KB) September 2013
- September 26, 2011 Press Release
- Final Permit MI-163-1W-C010 (PDF) (61 pp, 1.1 MB)
- Final Permit MI-163-1W-C011 (PDF) (61 pp, 1.1 MB)
- Final Permit MI-163-1W-C010 (redline version) (PDF) showing changes between draft and final permits (17 pp, 66 K)
- Response to Comments on EGT Draft Permits (PDF) (50 pp, 172 KB)
- Transcript from May 17, 2011 Public Hearing (PDF) (102 pp, 1.34 MB)
- Factsheet (PDF) (4 pp, 194 K)
- Legal Notice (PDF) (1 p, 75 K) (newspaper ad)
- March 31, 2011 Press Release
- Draft Permits
- General Overview of UIC Permitting Process
- EGT's UIC Permit Application
- EPA's Request for Additional Information and EGT Response
General Overview of UIC Permitting Process
The flowchart below shows the main steps that EPA follows to process a permit application from start to finish. The steps identified are:
- Receive the permit application.
- Conduct a completeness review and technical evaluation.
- Make a draft decision, announce the draft decision and public comment period and accept public input by mail and at public hearing.
- Prepare responses to public comments.
- Issue final decision and distribute responses to public comments.
- If the final decision is appealed, process the appeal.
Appeal ProcessTo appeal a decision to EPA's Environmental Appeals Board, you must have commented on the draft permits and you must submit a petition to the Board which must arrive at the Board's office on or before October 21, 2011. Only issues that were raised during the public comment period are subject to review by the Board. The petition must include:
- a statement of the reasons review is being requested (including a demonstration that the issue or issues being raised for review were raised during the public comment period in writing or orally at the public hearing)
- and when appropriate, a showing that the petition for a review
of the permit condition or conditions in question is based on either,
- a finding of fact or conclusion of law which is clearly erroneous, or
- an exercise of discretion or an important policy demonstration which the Environmental Appeals Board should, in its discretion, review.
- By regular mail:
Environmental Appeals Board, (MC 1103B)
Ariel Rios Building
1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20460-0001.
- By express mail or hand delivered:
Environmental Appeals Board
1341 G. Street, NW, Suite 600
Washington, D.C. 20005
EGT - UIC Class I Permit Application December 2007 and associated files
- Permit Application (PDF) (62 pp, 3.95MB)
- Waste Analysis Plan (PDF) (53 pp, 2.46MB)
- Well Record 1 (PDF) (65 pp, 4.52MB)
- Well Record 2 (PDF) (60 pp, 3.99MB)
- Well Record 3 (PDF) (50 pp, 3.35MB)
- Well Record 4 (PDF) (67 pp, 6.14MB)
- Completion Report Well #1-12 (PDF) (88 pp, 3.63MB)
- Completion Report Well #2-12 (PDF) (97 pp, 4.05MB)