West Bay Class II Injection Well MI-075-2D-0009
For information on this permit application
312-886-1998 or 800-621-8431, ext. 61998
Thursday, November 20
Public hearing, 7 – 8:30 p.m.
EPA will hold a formal public hearing on the West Bay #22 draft permit at:
Columbia Elementary School
320 School Street
(where to view written records)
Jackson District Library
244 West Michigan
West Bay Exploration Company of Traverse City, Michigan, applied for a permit to operate a Class II injection well for noncommercial brine disposal. The company wants to dispose of brine deep beneath the earth’s surface. EPA calls this a Class II non-hazardous brine disposal well. Class II wells are typically used to inject fluids that result from oil and gas production into the ground. There are about 144,000 Class II wells in the United States. About 20 percent are known to be used for brine disposal.
In April 2012, EPA withdrew a permit issued for the West Bay #22 well. In October 2014, EPA prepared a new draft Underground Injection Control (UIC) permit for the well. A formal public hearing for this new draft permit was held Nov. 20, 2014 and comments were accepted through Nov. 24, 2014.
Permitteee: West Bay Exploration Company
Permit Number: MI-075-2D-0009
Facility Name: West Bay #22
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Overview of UIC Permitting Process
The flowchart below shows the main steps that EPA follows to process a permit application from start to finish.
- Receive the permit application. April 2011
- Conduct a completeness review and technical evaluation. April 2011 - October 2014
- Make a draft decision, announce the draft decision and public comment period and accept public input by mail and at public hearing. October 2014 – November 2014
- Prepare responses to public comments.
- Issue final decision and distribute responses to public comments.
- If the final decision is appealed, process the appeal.
EPA is at step three and will accept written comments on the draft permit until Monday, November 24, 2014.