Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Us


 Where Can I Get a Radon Test Kit?

If you are interested in finding a qualified radon service professional to test your home, you wish to purchase a radon test kit, or have questions about a radon measurement device:

  • Contact your State Radon Contact to determine what are, or whether there are, requirements associated with providing radon measurement and or radon mitigations/reductions in your State. Some States maintain lists of contractors available in their state or they have proficiency programs or requirements of their own. Some states offer free or discounted test kits to the public.
  • The National Radon Program Services at Kansas State University offers discounted test kits available to purchase online. You may complete the test kit order form electronically and print it out to mail or fax in. You may download a Radon test kit coupon and mail it in. Go to http://sosradon.org/test-kits exiting EPA
  • Some home improvement stores/centers sell radon test kits. Follow the directions on the packaging for the proper placement of the device and where to send the device after the test to get your reading.

Who is Qualified to Test or Fix My Home?

Contact one or both of the two privately-run national radon programs
(listed below alphabetically) who are offering proficiency listing/accreditation/certification in radon testing and mitigation. 
(Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States Government.)

  • National Radon Proficiency Program (NRPP)
    Toll Free: (800) 269-4174 or (828) 890-4117
    Fax: (828) 890-4161
    Website: www.nrpp.info exiting EPA
    Email: info@nrpp.info
  • National Radon Safety Board (NRSB)
    Toll Free: (866) 329-3474
    Fax: (914) 345-1169
    Website: www.nrsb.org exiting EPA
    Email: info@NRSB.org

Test Your Home for Radon — It's Easy and Inexpensive

EPA recommends that all homes be tested. Read about radon health risks.

Fix your home if you have a radon level of 4 pCi/L or more.

Where Can I Find Someone to Fix My Home?

Radon Hotline

1-800-SOSRADON (1-800-767-7236) | Fax: (785) 532-6952 | Email: Radon@ksu.edu | www.sosradon.org exiting EPA
Read more about all the services Kansas State University provides. Learn more about radon resources

Read "A Citizen's Guide To Radon: The Guide to Protecting Yourself and Your Family from Radon

Citizen's Guide to Radon

PDF Version (16 pp., 852 K, about PDF)
Manual Informativo Sobre El Radón, La Guía para proteger a su familia y a usted del radón PDF Versión (16 pp., 1.5 M, acerca de en formata PDF)

Read A Consumer's Guide to Radon Reduction: How to Fix Your Home

Buying or Selling a Home? Read the "Home Buyer's and Seller's Guide to Radon"

Top of page

What does "EPA-Listed" or "EPA Approved" or "Meets EPA Requirements" Mean?

Read the letter announcing closure of National Radon Proficiency Program (RPP) dated July 30, 1998

EPA-issued Radon Measurement (RMP) and Mitigation (RCP) Program photo-identification cards, and ANY item with EPA's logo or name, listing letters and identification numbers has not been valid since EPA closed its proficiency program in October 1998. Consequently, persons and companies should not represent themselves, their products or their services as "EPA Listed" or "EPA Approved" or "Meets EPA Requirements" or otherwise imply an EPA sanction. Consumers are encouraged to contact their State radon office for additional information or if you have a complaint or question.

EPA Acknowledgement of Non-Federal National Radon Proficiency Programs

After the close of EPA's National Radon Proficiency Program (RPP) in 1998, there were requests that EPA offer some form of recognition of non-Federal radon proficiency programs. EPA developed recognition criteria and offered a one-time acknowledgment to both of the existing non-Federal national radon proficiency programs (The National Radon Safety Board (NRSB) and The National Environmental Health Association's (NEHA) National Radon Proficiency Program). This official acknowledgement [dated March 30, 2001] ran through December 31, 2002, at which time, EPA's determination expired. There were no extensions of this determination. To avoid misleading the public, the recognized programs were not to make reference to this EPA determination after December 31, 2002. EPA continues to encourage States, industry and consumers to work together to identify those elements that would improve non-Federal radon proficiency programs and go beyond EPA's former voluntary RPP. These improved elements should then be adopted as standards of practice.

Top of page

Federal Radon Action Plan Health Risks Hotlines & Resources Test or Fix Your Home Kids, Students and Teachers Map of Radon Zones Media Campaigns National Radon Action Month Radon-Resistant New Construction Radon and Real Estate Radon in Drinking Water Radon Leaders Saving Lives State Radon Contacts State Indoor Radon Grants Indoor airPLUS Indoor Air Quality

Jump to main content.