Civil rights requirements for the distribution of Recovery Act funds: requirements of federal agencies
Federal agencies must distribute Recovery Act funds in accordance with all nondiscrimination and equal opportunity statutes, regulations, and Executive Orders that apply to the distribution of funds under the Recovery Act. Agencies that grant funds also must ensure that their recipients and subrecipients comply with:
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (prohibiting race, color, and national origin discrimination including language access for limited-English proficient persons),
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (prohibiting disability discrimination),
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (prohibiting sex discrimination in education and training programs),
- the Age Discrimination Act of 1975 (prohibiting age discrimination in the provision of services), and
- Section 13 of the Federal Water Pollution Control Act Amendments of 1972, which prohibits discrimination based on sex under programs or activities receiving financial assistance under the Clean Water Act.