Nonattainment Areas in the Mid-Atlantic Region
The information and links below will provide you with information about
air quality in a specific area. Areas are designated as nonattainment
when ambient air monitoring indicates that an air quality standard is
not being attained. Once an area attains the standard and makes
a request for redesignation, the State must prepare a plan to show the
area will maintain the standard. The State's preparation
of the plan and EPA's review can take a significant amount of time.
Therefore it is possible for some areas designated as nonattainment to
have current ambient data indicating they are meeting the standard.
- Graphical map of the current nonattainment and maintenance areas in the Mid-Atlantic states for the 1997 8-hour ozone standard (size of file is 344KB)
- Tabular list of counties currently maintaining the 1997 8-hour ozone standard in the Mid-Atlantic states
- 1997 Annual PM2.5 Final Nonattainment Areas: counties designated as not meeting the 1997 PM2.5 annual standard:
- 2006 24-Hour PM2.5 Final Nonattainment Areas: counties designated as not meeting the 2006 PM2.5 24-hour standard
- Mid-Atlantic (Region 3) Map and Tabular List of counties designated as nonattainment for the 2006 24-hour standard
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) Nonattainment areas:
Armstrong County - Madison Twp, Mahoning Twp, Boggs Twp, Washington Twp, and Pine Twp.