Pacific Southwest, Region 9
Serving: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Pacific Islands, Tribal Nations
State and Tribal Links
|Solid Waste: Construction Quick Finder|
On This Page:
Most states regulate C&D debris, although programs vary widely. Some states require C&D landfills to meet municipal solid waste landfill regulations, some set separate regulations for C&D landfills, and others exempt on-site C&D landfills from regulations.
This page contains additional information on C&D debris management for the states and tribes in Region 9. California and Hawaii have promulgated state definitions for C&D debris, while Arizona and Nevada have not.
Arizona Department of Environmental Quality, Waste Programs Division, Solid Waste Management Program
Provides information on Arizona's solid waste rules including information on C&D debris and management. Also available:
California Integrated Waste Management Board (CIWMB), Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling
Provides information on regulations governing C&D management and disposal in California. Additional information includes a database of recycled-content building products, C&D recycling facility information, and local assistance contacts. Also available:
- Construction & Debris (C&D) Waste Diversion in California (PDF) (10 pp, 176K)
- Factsheet: Dry Wall Recycling (Word 97/2000, 55K)
- Factsheet: Carpet (Word 97/2000, 79K)
- Factsheet: Lumber Waste (Word 6.0/95, 22K)
- Factsheet: Urban Wood Waste (Word 6.0/95, 21K)
- Factsheet: Job Site Source Separation (Word 6.0/95, 21K)
For information about C&D debris management in Nevada, contact the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Waste Management or call the Nevada Recycling Hotline at (800) 597-5865.
Hawaii Department of Health, Environmental Health, Solid and Hazardous Waste Branch, Office of Solid Waste Management
Provides information on Hawaii's solid waste rules including information on C&D debris and management. Also available:
- Minimizing Construction and Demolition Wastes (PDF) (16 pp, 380K)
- Disposal of Lead-Based Paint Waste (PDF) (8 pp. 175K)
- Disposal of Asbestos-Containing Waste Materials (PDF) (2 pp, 14K)
- Pressure-Treated Wood Management (PDF) (4 pp, 15K)
For information about C&D debris management in the Pacific Islands, contact the Region 9 Pacific Islands Office.
For more information about C&D debris management, visit the Region 9 Tribal Program Web site, which includes links to each tribe's environmental program information.
|Region 9 NewsroomRegion 9 Programs||Grants & Funding US-Mexico Border||Media Center Careers||About Region 9A-Z Index|