Pacific Southwest, Region 9
Serving: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Pacific Islands, Tribal Nations
Dredging and Sediment Management
|SF-DODS Quick Finder|
|Dredging & Sediment Home SF-DODS Overview Table 1 Table 4||Regional Teams & Partners Vessel route to SF-DODS Table 2||Disposal Sites Reference Area Database Table 3|
San Francisco Deep Ocean Disposal Site
SF-DODS was established in 1994 to provide an environmentally superior alternative to disposal in San Francisco Bay.
- It is the deepest and farthest off shore of any ocean dredged material disposal site in the United States.
- To reach it, disposal barges must be towed through portions of the protected waters of the National Marine Sanctuaries at Monterey Bay and Gulf of the Farallones.
- Because sea conditions in the open Pacific Ocean off central California can be extreme, and in order to avoid impacts to the National Marine Santuaries, disposal rules for SF-DODS include monitoring of and strict limitations on: transit route; allowable weather and wave conditions; maximum barge loading; and barge performance (no spilling/leaking).
Disposal Site Information
- Site Designation Rule (PDF) (32 pp, 97K, About PDF)
- Site Amendment Rule July 23, 1999
- Site Management and Monitoring Plan (SMMP)(PDF) (6 pp, 39K, About PDF)
- Reference Area Database
- Synthesis Report: 15 Years of Monitoring SF-DODS (105 pp, 1.3M) Updated June 2010
|Location||Approximately 50 miles offshore of San Francisco, CA|
|Center coordinates||37° 39.0' N by 123° 29.0' W (NAD 83)|
|Water Depth||8,200 - 9,840 feet (2,500 - 3,000 meters)|
|Size||6.5 square nautical miles (22 square kilometers)|
|Shape||Oval, with north-south length approximately 4 nautical miles (7.5 kilometers) and east-west width approximately 2.5 nautical miles (4.5 kilometers)|
|Disposal Zone||600 meter radius circle at center of overall disposal site|
|Volume Limit||4.8 million cubic yards of dredged material per year|
Allan Ota (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Oceanographer / Regional Ocean Dumping Coordinator
|Pacific Southwest NewsroomPacific Southwest Programs||Grants & FundingUS-Mexico Border||Media CenterCareers||About EPA Pacific SouthwestA-Z Index|