Region 1: EPA New England
New England Beach Monitoring and Notification Program
EPA New England manages the Beaches Environmental Assessment and Coastal Health (BEACH) Program. This program is focused on strengthening beach standards and testing, providing faster laboratory test methods, predicting pollution, investing in health and methods research, and informing the public about the quality of coastal beach water.
Each year, EPA New England issues grants to our five coastal states to support their development and implementation of beach monitoring and notification programs. Since the inception of this program in 2001, EPA New England has granted over $13M to coastal New England states.
Beach Monitoring Information
- BEACON - Beach Advisory and Closing On-line Notification
- Beach Monitoring & Notification
- Healthy Watersheds
- Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment
- Time-Relevant Beach & Recreational Water Quality Monitoring & Reporting (PDF) (59 pp, 1.7 MB, about PDF)
- Ocean and Coastal Protection in New England
- EPA Region 3 - Mid-Atlantic Beaches, Oceans & Estuaries
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
How You Can Help:
The public is strongly urged to get involved in their local beach program. Things you can do to help:
- Don't litter;
- Participate in clean ups and other river events in your community;
- Pick up after your dog;
- Don't feed waterfowl;
- Don't dump oil, wash water, or other household wastes into storm drains;
- Use rain barrels to capture and reuse water and/or consider planting a rain garden to naturally collect and absorb rainwater;
- Minimize the use of pesticides and fertilizers on your lawn;
- Volunteer to monitor the water at your beach
- Encourage the development and implementation of your community's stormwater management program;
- Report illicit discharges or connections to local and state officials; and
- Share your knowledge with others!
For More Information...
You can read the Questions & Answers or contact:
Caitlyn Whittle (email@example.com), Regional Coordinator
US EPA New England
5 Post Office Square, Suite 100 (OEP06-1)
Boston, MA 02109-3912