Enforcement in New England
Asbestos Notification Forms
Generally, EPA and/or the appropriate state agency must be notified of any demolition or renovation project involving asbestos removal at least ten (10) working days prior to the beginning of the project.
In Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire, the owner or operator of demolition or renovation project is allowed to file an asbestos notification only with the state (i.e., sending a separate notification form to EPA is not necessary).
The completed notification forms for activities in Rhode Island and Vermont only may be submitted by mail, hand or commercial delivery to EPA. Faxes are NOT acceptable.
The mailing address for the EPA Notification Form is:
U.S. EPA, Region 1
5 Post Office Square, Suite 100 (OES05-4)
Boston, MA 02109-3912
State asbestos notification forms may be obtained from the following websites:
- Connecticut Department of Public Health
- Maine Department of Environmental Protection
- Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
- New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services
- Rhode Island Department of Public Health
- Vermont Department of Public Health
Notifications submitted to EPA Region 1 for asbestos demolition and renovation activities outside of VT and RI will experience significant delays in response and could result in the notification or questions not being processed at all. Please direct your inquires and submissions to the appropriate EPA contact in your EPA region and to your specific state program:
Find your EPA Region:
- Region 1 – Boston (serving CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, and VT)
- Region 2 – New York City (serving NJ, NY, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands)
- Region 3 – Philadelphia (serving DE, DC, MD, PA, VA, and WV)
- Region 4 – Atlanta (serving AL, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, and TN)
- Region 5 – Chicago (serving IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, and WI)
- Region 6 – Dallas (serving AR, LA, NM, OK, and TX)
- Region 7 - Kansas City (serving IA, KS, MO, and NE)
- Region 8 – Denver (serving CO, MT, ND, SD, UT, and WY)
- Region 9 - San Francisco (serving AZ, CA, HI, NV, American Samoa, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, Marshall Islands, and Republic of Palau)
- Region 10 – Seattle (serving AK, ID, OR, WA and 271 native tribes)
Asbestos NESHAP - Asbestos Ombudsman Hot-line (part of the Small Business Ombudsman):
Failure to submit your notification and questions to the correct contact could result in the notification or questions not being processed at all.