Solid Waste in New England
Construction and Demolition (C&D) Debris: Case Studies from New England
Promoting reuse over traditional solid waste disposal of materials, the Guide can be used by businesses, institutions, and governments who deal with off-spec production or asset management, and others who are seeking or need to dispose of items that still may have "use." Find listings for donating used goods or unwanted materials - including those associated with construction - throughout New England. More»
Case studies provide a way to share information on how C&D waste can be reduced and managed.
The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MA DEP) developed a series of case studies to highlight techniques for saving money and protecting the environment through the reuse and recycling of C&D debris. They include a wide range of projects:
- City Hall Annex, Cambridge, MA
- Douglas School, Douglas, MA
- Milford Fire Station, Milford, MA
- St. Paul's Cathedral, Worcester, MA
- Clarke Corporation, Milford, MA
- MIT Media Lab, Cambridge, MA
These case studies are available on the MA DEP C&D debris Web site.
The Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Construction Waste Reduction Program has developed several job-site case studies:
- Deconstruction -- Birdseye Building Company, Project Location: Charlotte, VT (2002) -- Deconstruction of a single family home.
- Renovation/New Construction -- Mary Meyers Corporation, Project Location: Townshend, VT (2002) -- Remodeling and new construction of the corporate office.
- Salvage/Renovation -- Engelberth Construction Corporation, Project Location: Barre, VT (2001) -- Renovation of the former Barre City hospital, the McFarland House.
- New Construction -- Pizzagalli Construction Company, Project Location: Champlain College, Burlington, VT (1997-1998) --Construction of a campus library.
- New Construction -- Bread Loaf Corporation, Project Location: Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT (2002) -- Construction of a campus recycling facility.
These case studies are available on the Vermont .
Additional Case Studies
- Best Management Practices Catalog for Colleges and Universities, EPA New England
More case studies are available on the national C&D debris Web site in the Publications section. In addition, use the Where You Live map to access case studies posted on other EPA regional C&D debris Web sites.
For information on state requirements and programs for C&D debris management, see State Agencies and Other Organizations.