New Jersey Ozone and CO SIPs: Elements of Enhanced Inspection and Maintenance ProgramFederal Register Dates:
September 11, 2001 Proposal 66 FR 47130
October 16, 2001 Extension of comment period 66 FR 52560
January 22, 2002 Final Rule 67 FR 2811
EPA Approval Date:
EPA's approval of two elements of the Enhanced I/M program was effective on February 21, 2002.
SIP revison dated August 20, 2001.
EPA approved a SIP revision submitted by New Jersey that consists of two elements necessary for EPA to grant final full approval of New Jersey's enhanced motor vehicle I/M program. The first element provides the State's final submittal for compliance with the National Highway Systems Designation Act (NHSDA), which allowed states to claim additional credit for their decentralized inspection and maintenance programs, provided they could validate that credit claim with actual program implementation data. The second element revises New Jersey's performance standard modeling to reflect the State's enhanced I/M program as it is currently implemented. This element satisfies a condition of EPA's May 14, 1997 conditional interim approval of New Jersey's enhanced I/M program SIP.
New Regulations Included As Part of the SIP:
- Subchapter 15 Control and Prohibition of Air Pollution From Gasoline-Fueled Motor Vehicles, effective November 15, 1999.
- Subchapter 4 Air Test Method 4: Testing Procedures for Motor Vehicles, effective November 15, 1999.
- Subchapter 7, Vehicle Inspection (Sections: 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, 7.6), effective December 6, 1999;
- Subchapter 24 Motorcycles (Section: 24.20), effective December 6, 1999;
- Subchapter 26,Compliance With Diesel Emission Standards and Equipment, Periodic Inspection Program for Diesel Emissions, and Self-Inspection of Certain Classes of Motor Vehicles (Section: 26.16), effective December 6, 1999;
- Subchapter 28 Inspection of New Motor Vehicles (Sections: 28.3, 28.4, 28.6), effective December 6, 1999.
- Subchapter 29 Mobile Inspection Unit (Sections: 29.1, 29.2, 29.3), effective December 6, 1999;
- Subchapter 32, Inspection Standards and Test Procedures To Be Used By Official Inspection Facilities, effective December 6, 1999;
- Subchapter 33, Inspection Standards and Test Procedures To Be Used By Licensed Private Inspection Facilities, effective December 6, 1999;
- Subchapter 43 Enhanced Motor Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance Program, effective December 6, 1999;
- Subchapter 44 Private Inspection Facility Licensing, effective December 6, 1999; and
- Subchapter 45 Motor Vehicle Emission Repair Facility Registration, effective December 6, 1999.
- Subchapter 5 Registrations (Section: 5.12), effective December 6, 1999 and
- Subchapter 15 New Jersey Licensed Motor Vehicle Dealers (Section: 15.7), effective December 6, 1999.
EPA Region 2 Contact:
Michael Moltzen (212) 637-3710