Region 2 Superfund
Serving New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Eight Tribal Nations.
Region 2 Greener Remediation
Hear about the goals of the "Clean and Green" policy and how it's being implemented at cleanup sites across the region.
Greener remediation is the practice of considering environmental impacts of remediation activities at every stage of the remedial process in order to maximize the net environmental benefit of a cleanup. Considerations include selection of a remedy, energy requirements, efficiency of on-site activities, and reduction of impacts on surrounding areas.
"Clean & Green" is a policy established by EPA Region 2 to enhance the environmental benefits of Superfund cleanups by promoting technologies and practices that are sustainable. The policy applies to all Superfund cleanups. Under this policy, certain green remediation practices will serve as touchstones for Region 2 response actions.
Region 2 Touchstone Practices
- Use of 100% of electricity from renewable sources
- Clean diesel fuels and technologies
- Methane capture at landfill sites
- Industrial materials reuse or recycling within regulatory requirements
- Capture geothermal energy with pump and treat remediation systems to heat/cool structures.