Algoma Municipal Landfill
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (email@example.com)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
Howard Caine (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-9685 or 800-621-8431, ext. 39685
(where to view written records)
Algoma Public Library
406 Fremont St.
The Algoma Municipal Landfill is located two miles west of Algoma in the unincorporated township of Ahnapee in Kewanee County. The city of Algoma owns the 13-acre landfill and operated it in 1969-83. In 1970, the landfill received a license from the state to accept municipal refuse. When it closed in 1983, the city covered it with 2 feet of clay and 6 inches of topsoil.
Most of the waste accepted was municipal trash. However, about 210 drums of finishing materials, including polyvinyl acetate, lacquer thinner, methanol, silicate, pigments, and paint primer, were also taken there.
The final cleanup plan was selected in 1990. A group of six companies and the city of Algoma completed the cleanup in 1993. It included a landfill cover, landfill gas venting system, a fence, and ground water and landfill gas monitoring.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA has completed a status review of the cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.
The review included:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- Maintenance and monitoring efforts
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
The review found that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. The fourth five-year review (PDF) (42 pp, 3.8 MB) , April 2014 details the site's progress. The next scheduled review will be in 2019.
- Algoma Municipal Landfill Explanation of Significant Differences report (PDF) (84pp, 4.0MB) October 1992
- Record of Decision (PDF) (76pp, 3.7MB) September 1990
- Remedial Investigation Report (PDF) (311pp, 11.3MB) June 1990
- Third Five-year review (PDF) (21pp, 2.5MB) April 2009
- Second five-year review (PDF) (21pp, 1.3MB) April 2004
- First five-year review (PDF) (13pp, 695K) March 1999
- Amended Consent Decree (PDF) (218pp, 9.7MB) May 1993
- Consent Decree (PDF) (177pp, 7.4MB) March 1992
- Administrative Order On Consent and RI/FS (PDF) (50pp, 2.0MB) January 1988