- Indianapolis, IN (Marion County)
- EPA ID# IND980606404
Community Involvement Coordinator
Janet Pope (email@example.com)
312-353-0628 or 800-621-8431, ext.30628
312-353-3436 or 800-621-8431, ext. 33436
Marion County Health Department
(where to view written records)
Indianapolis Public Library
College Avenue Branch
4180 N. College Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46205
The Former American Lead Site consists of a 7.5-acre lot and surrounding residential area in an economically-depressed neighborhood of Indianapolis. The site has been investigated by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) since 1986. On January 31, 2005, an Administrative Order on Consent (AOC), implemented under EPA’s Time-Critical Removal Action authority, removed lead contaminated soils from 201 residential properties found to be impacted by former American Lead activities. In 2009, IDEM conducted a Reassessment under the Hazard Ranking System (HRS) to determine the site’s eligibility as a National Priority List site. However, the HRS evaluation is complicated by the 2005 removal action, the extent of the remaining lead contamination and the uncertain attribution to American Lead site. In 2013, the Removal Program agreed to conduct further assessment. The assessment planned for January 2014 will include lead speciation and bioavailability.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Beginning in early 2014, EPA is beginning a removal reassessment at the former American Lead site because of elevated concentrations of lead still remaining after a Potential Responsible Parties removal in 2005. EPA will work closely with community to keep them informed prior and during the removal assessment.
- Potential Sources of Contamination (PDF) (1p, 456K) April 2014
- Cleanup Activities End at Former American Lead Site Fact sheet (PDF) (1pp, 48KB) April 2007
- Cleanup Activities Begin at Former American Lead Site Fact sheet (PDF) (3pp, 125KB) April 2005
- Field Sampling Plan (PDF) (71pp, 3.9MB) April 2014
- History of environmental contamination in Martindale-Brightwood (PDF) (1pp, 37KB)
- Pollution Report (PDF) (3pp, 95KB) May 5, 2005
- Site Location map (PDF) (1pp, 284KB)
- Site Layout (PDF) (1pp, 199KB)