Byron Salvage Yard
Community Involvement Coordinator
Janet Pope (email@example.com)
312-353-0628 or 800-621-8431, ext.30628
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-7058 or 800-621-8431, ext. 67058
Illinois EPA Contact
(where to view written records)
Ogle County Public Health Dept.
Ogle County Court House
104 South 5th Street
Oregon, IL 61061
Byron Public Library
109 North Franklin Street
Byron, IL 61010
The site consists of the Byron Salvage Yard property and Dirk's Farm property. The contiguous properties are located in rural Ogle County in Northern Illinois, about halfway between the cities of Byron and Oregon, Illinois. In the 1960s, the Byron Salvage Yard was operated as a junkyard where miscellaneous waste and debris were brought for disposal. Disposal activities continued until about 1972. Drums of electroplating wastes and other materials (oil sludges, paint sludges, cutting wheels, solvents, and scrap metal) were disposed of at the Byron Salvage Yard. (more...)
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- EPA Reviewing Byron Salvage Yard Superfund Site June 2008
- 5-Year Review and Explanation of Significant Differences , January 2004
- Five Year Review Report (PDF) (11pp, 60K) December 2003
- Proposed Plan (PDF) (4pp, 135K) August 1999
- EPA sponsored a public meeting on August 5, 1999, to explain the Proposed Plan and all of the alternatives presented in the Feasibility Study Addendum.
- EPA accepted written comments on the Proposed Plan and the other alternatives presented in the Feasibility Study Addendum during a 30-day public comment period August 23 - September 21, 1999.