Sanitary Landfill (Cardington Road Landfill)
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-7341 or 800-621-8431 ext. 67341
Ohio EPA Site Coordinator
(where to view written records)
Moraine City Hall
Clerk of Council's Office
4200 Dryden Rd.
Dayton Public Library
215 E. Third St.
The 36-acre Sanitary Landfill Superfund Site at 1855 Cardington Road (also known as the Cardington Road Landfill) is a former solid waste landfill located about one mile south of the Dayton. It was originally developed as a sand and gravel mine and was eventually used for solid waste disposal from 1958 to 1980. The landfill accepted municipal waste and various types of industrial waste. The primary contaminants of concern affecting the soil, sediment, surface water, and landfill gas were volatile organic compounds including benzene, trichloroethylene, toluene, xylenes, and other organic compounds. Metals, including arsenic, chromium, and lead, were also identified as contaminants of concern.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA has completed a status review of the cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.
The review included:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
The review found that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. The next scheduled review will be in 2017. The Third Five-Year Review Report (PDF) (64pp 8.9MB) details the site's progress.
- Fact sheet: Community Update Cardington Road Landfill Superfund Site (PDF) (2pp, 1MB) September 1990
- Fact sheet: Superfund Activities: Dayton, Ohio (PDF) (4 pp, 360K) August 1989
- Fact sheet: Environmental Investigation to Begin (PDF) (4 pp, 315K) May 1989
- Proposed Plan (PDF) (25pp, 1.6MB) November 1993
- Record of Decision (PDF) (30pp, 64K) September 1993
- Final Feasibility Study (PDF) (252pp, 10.44MB) November 1992
- Public Health Assessment (PDF) (46 pp, 2.18MB) September 1992
- Final Remedial Investigation Volume 1 (PDF) (288pp, 11.61MB) November 1991
- Final Remedial Investigation Volume 2 (PDF) (172pp, 7.24MB) November 1991
- Third five-year review (PDF) (64pp, 8.9MB) August 2012
- Second five-year review (PDF) (46pp, 3.57MB) September 2007
- First five-year review (PDF) (60pp, 1.92MB) September 2002
- Administrative Order on Consent (PDF) (65pp, 2.55MB) November 1987