D & L Energy Oil Spill
- Youngstown, OH (Mahoning County)
- EPA ID# n/a
- Emergency Removal Action, Non NPL
Jeffrey Lippert (firstname.lastname@example.org )
Francisco Arcaute (email@example.com)
US EPA and the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency are overseeing the cleanup of a January 31, 2013, discharge of oil, brine and waste water generated from oil and gas drilling operations by D&L Energy near Youngstown, Ohio. The brine and oil mixture is waste that is suspected to have been generated by D&L Energy operations and released on multiple occasions. It was released into a storm sewer that discharged into a small creek and then into the Mahoning River in the Belle Vista neighborhood of Youngstown.
As of Feb. 27, 2013:
After the spill was stabilized and confined to the small creek, EPA oversaw the continued removal of oil and oiled sediment from within the storm sewer, creek and Mahoning River.
- Vacuum trucks and absorbent pads and booms are being used to remove oil from the creek.
- Pressurized water and other methods are also being used on creek sediment to free oil for collection and removal.
- Riprap, a protective cover of stones, was also installed to help prevent erosion of the creek bed.
D & L Energy is conducting containment and cleanup operations under the joint oversight of US EPA and Ohio EPA.
- Approximately 700 cubic yards of oiled sediment have been collected for proper disposal.
- Approximately 150,000 gallons of oil and water have been removed from the creek and storm sewer.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- D & L Energy Administrative Order by Consent (PDF) (5 pp, 659K) Feb. 27, 2013
- Pollution/Situation Report (POLREP) #4 (PDF) (6 pp, 35K) Feb. 23, 2013
- Pollution/Situation Report (POLREP) #3 (PDF) (5 pp, 32K) Feb. 15, 2013
- US DOJ News release: Ohio man charged with violating Clean Water Act by discharging brine and drilling mud into Mahoning River Feb. 14, 2013
- Pollution/Situation Report (POLREP) #2 (PDF) (5 pp, 32K) Feb. 11, 2013
- Initial Pollution/Situation Report (POLREP) (PDF) (4 pp, 33K) Feb. 5, 2013
- Notice of Federal Interest in a Pollution Incident (PDF) (1 pg, 53K) Feb. 2, 2013