Fort Wayne Reduction Superfund Site
- Fort Wayne, IN (Allen County)
- EPA ID# IND980679542
- Alias(es): N/A
Community Involvement Coordinator
Patricia Krause (email@example.com)
312-886-9506 or 800-621-8431, ext. 69506, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-7341 or 800-621-8431, ext. 67341
(where to view written records)
Allen County Library
900 Library Plaza
Fort Wayne, IN 46802
Fort Wayne Reduction is a 35-acre site located along the south bank of the Maumee River and situated in a 100-year old flood plain of the river. The site operated as a residential and industrial landfill and accepted hazardous wastes from 1966 to 1974. A remedial investigation and feasibility study, a study of the nature and extent of contamination and alternatives for cleanup began in 1986 and resulted in a cleanup plan to:
- Dig up drums and incinerate the drum contents.
- Construct a fence around the site.
- Install a ground water capture system to collect an treat ground water before entering the Maumee River.
- Install erosion mats and planting vegetation to reduce erosion during flooding.
Through a consent decree with EPA, Waste Management Inc. agreed to fund the cleanup and construction started in 1990 with drum removal occurring in 1993. Over 27,000 drums were removed from the site and final construction was completed in 1996.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA completed the third five-year review of the Fort Wayne Reduction site. EPA's cleanup of contaminated soil and ground water consisted of digging up waste-containing drums; collecting and treating ground water; installing erosion mats and planting vegetation; and land restrictions and ground water monitoring. Another plan will be developed for long-term stewardship including regular inspections to make sure site controls are in place and effective. The review found the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. The next scheduled review will be in 2014.
- Explanation of Significant Differences (PDF) (33pp, 1.8K) September 2010
- Record of Decision (PDF) (53pp, 99KB) August 1988
Five Year Reviews
- Third Five-Year Review Report (PDF) (81pp, 4.1MB) September 2009
- Second Five-year review (PDF) (56pp, 1.7MB) September 2004
- First five-year review (PDF) (11pp, 138K) July 1999