Gary Development Landfill
Community Involvement Coordinator
Janet Pope (email@example.com)
312-353-0628 or 800-621-8431, ext.30628
Remedial Project Manager
Leslie Blake (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-7921 or 800-621-8431, ext. 61841
(where to view written records)
Du Bois Public Library
The Gary Development Landfill site is a former landfill that operated from approximately 1975 to 1989. It is located at 479 N. Cline Ave., in a primarily industrial neighborhood in Gary, Ind. The landfill accepted hazardous waste including volatile organic compounds (VOCs), semi-volatile organic compounds (SVOCs), asbestos, metals, and pesticides. Contaminants from the site have been detected in a wetland which is adjacent to the southeastern portion of the property. This wetland borders the Grand Calumet River.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA sent a special notice package to 11 potentially responsible parties (or PRPs) identifying the response actions that need to be undertaken in order to conduct a remedial investigation and feasibility study at the Site. An initial settlement conference was held at EPA, Region 5 in Chicago, IL on March 19, 2013. A good faith offer is expected to be submitted to EPA within 60 days of the date the special notice package was sent.
Special Notice Package:
- Special Notice Letter for the Gary Development Landfill (PDF) (11pp, 1.2MB) February 25, 2013
- Administrative Settlement Agreement and Order on Consent for Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study (PDF) (42pp, 1.4MB) February 25, 2013
- Statement of Work for a Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Study at the Gary Development Landfill Site (PDF) (32pp, 1MB) February 25, 2013
EPA held interviews with Gary residents from Tuesday, Dec. 11, through Thursday, Dec. 13, at the John F. Kennedy Branch of the Gary Public Library, 3953 Broadway. EPA gathered information from residents to better understand community concerns about the former landfill. The EPA used information from the interviews to develop a community involvement plan to help encourage effective communication between EPA and the people of Gary. The CIP contains information about the community and its opinions or thoughts on the site.
- EPA to Conduct Community Interviews (PDF) (2 pp, 254K) Nov. 20, 2012
- Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (25 pp, 7.9MB) January 2013
The Gary Development Landfill site has been added to the Superfund program National Priorities List. The National Priorities List is EPA's list of the most serious uncontrolled or abandoned hazardous waste sites identified for long-term cleanup. EPA will try to identify any local parties potentially responsible for the contamination. For sites without a viable responsible party, EPA investigates the full extent of the contamination before starting any significant cleanup. When a site is added to the NPL it is eligible for financial resources to fully characterize the extent of the contamination and develop a cleanup plan. EPA will investigate the full extent of the contamination before starting significant cleanup at the site.
- EPA adds Gary site to Superfund National Priorities List - Sept. 15, 2011
- EPA Adds 10 Hazardous Waste Sites to Superfund's National Priorities List / Fifteen additional sites proposed to be included on the NPL - March 8, 2011
- Health Consultation (PDF) (45 pp, 7.9MB) August 2012
- Map (PDF) (1 pp, 411KB) March 16, 2011
- HRS Documentation Record (PDF) (41pp, 1.8MB) March 2011
- Indiana Department of Environmental Management Expanded Site Inspection for Gary Development Landfill (PDF) (196pp, 48MB) November 18, 2009
- Indiana Department of Environmental Management Reassessment for Gary Development Landfill (PDF) (429pp, 20MB) revised June 1, 2006