Hartford Area Hydrocarbon Plume Site
- Hartford, IL (Madison County)
Community Involvement Coordinator
Steve Faryan (email@example.com)
Kevin Turner (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Illinois EPA Community Relations Coordinator
Mara McGinnis (email@example.com)
Illinois EPA Collinsville Regional Office, Manager
Chris Cahnovsky (firstname.lastname@example.org)
(where to view written records)
Hartford Public Library
143 W. Hawthorne
Hartford, IL 62048
Monday-Thursday 12-6 pm
Friday-Saturday 12-4 pm
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA plans to conduct a test that will help the Agency learn the best way to remove trapped gasoline from beneath a portion of Hartford. The test is called a “focused pumping” test. It will be done near the 300 block of North Olive Avenue, referred to as Area A.
Groundwater in Hartford moves up and down – more shallow or more deep – depending on things such as rain, drought or the Mississippi River level. There is gasoline trapped below the groundwater, and the changing water level makes it difficult to clean up the gasoline.
By using “focused pumping,” U.S. EPA can pump a significant amount of groundwater out of the ground when water levels are naturally low. That causes the water level around the well to drop further, and the gasoline rises up through the soil to take its place.
The idea is to move the groundwater out of the way so workers can then pump the gasoline out of the ground. If the water is not moved out of the way, the gasoline remains trapped and remains an environmental and public health problem.
- Fact Sheet: Test Will Help EPA Remove Gas From Beneath Village (PDF) (2pp, 250K) November 2013
- SVE System Up and Running; New Cleanup in Planning Stages (PDF) (6pp, 564K) November 2007
- Major Expansion of SVE System to Begin This Summer (PDF) (4pp, 1MB) August 2006
- EPA Recommends Protective Measures for Home Vapor Problems (PDF) (4pp, 372K) October 2004
- Response to comments for the Hartford Area Hydrocarbon Plume site (PDF) (10pp, 77K) June 2004
- Companies Agree to Address Vapors and Contamination (PDF) (6pp, 722K) March 2004
- Petroleum Vapor Problems in Northeast Hartford Basements, Illinois EPA Fact sheet, June 2003
- Administrative Order on Consent (AOC) (PDF) (33pp, 96K) March 2004
- EPA held an open house on gasoline cleanup Aug. 12, 2014.
- EPA held an open house and public meeting on March 25, 2004
- EPA accepted comments on the Administrative Order on Consent through April 7, 2004.