Kalamazoo River Superfund Project
- EPA ID# MID006007306
- NPL Factsheet
- Superfund Site Progress Profile
- Allied Paper, Inc.
- Portage Creek
- Kalamazoo River
Community Involvement Coordinator
Diane Russell (email@example.com)
Backup Community Involvement Coordinator
Cheryl Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-6196 or 800-621-8431, ext. 36196
Remedial Project Manager
Michael Berkoff - landfills
Sheila Desai - mills
312-353-8360 or 800-621-8431 ext. 38360
(where to view written records)
Kalamazoo Public Library
315 South Rose
Western Michigan University
1903 West Michigan Avenue
Charles Ransom Library
180 South Sherwood
Allegan Public Library
331 Hubbard Street
Otsego District Library
219 South Farmer Street
10 Mixer Street
Michigan Department of Community Health's fish advisory
Michigan Department of Environmental Quality's Web site on this project
Kalamazoo River Watershed Council
Kalamazoo River Watershed Council
Dr. Stephen K. Hamilton, hamilton@Ks.msu.edu, 269-671-2231
Kalamazoo River Environment Natural Resource Damage Assessment - U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
See also Allied Paper Landfill/Bryant Mill Pond Area, Kalamazoo, Mich
EPA has assumed responsibility for a Superfund cleanup on the Kalamazoo River. The Allied Paper Inc./Portage Creek/Kalamazoo River Superfund Site, referred to here as the Kalamazoo River Superfund Project, stretches 80-miles from Saugatuck on the west to about 10 miles east of Battle Creek, near Sunrise Heights. (more...)
Sign up for the Kalamazoo River listserv
It's a subscription-based email list that EPA uses to deliver news about this site.
EPA and Michigan Department of Environmental Quality are planning to share several cleanup plans for the Kalamazoo River in the coming months. The map below shows the areas (called "operable units" or OUs) where work is being planned. Below the map is a summary on the status of each of the areas.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Allied Landfill (OU1)
EPA held two meetings to share more details of the redevelopment cleanup option being added to other cleanup options for Allied Landfill.
You can view EPA’s presentations
- Allied Paper Landfill Next Steps (PDF)(27pp, 1.5 MB) April 2015
- Allied Paper Landfill Feasibility Study Addendum (PDF) (25pp, 642KB) June 2015
You can view these documents to learn more.
- Allied Landfill Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) (2pp, 642KB)
- Feasibility Study Addendum (PDF) (56pp, 1.8MB)
- Groundwater Report
EPA expects to propose a cleanup plan for Allied Landfill later in 2015.
Kalamazoo River Area 1 of OU5
EPA plans to cleanup Area 1 of Operable Unit 5 (OU5) of the Kalamazoo River. The plan details EPA recommended cleanup options for a 22-mile stretch of the Kalamazoo River from Morrow Dam to the former Plainwell Dam, and a 3-mile stretch of Portage Creek from Alcott Street to where it meets with the Kalamazoo River. Area 1 flows through the communities of Comstock, Kalamazoo, Parchment and Plainwell.
Find out more about the plan by reading Area 1 of OU5 Proposed Plan Fact Sheet, Proposed Plan and Proposed Plan Tables.
- EPA Proposes a Cleanup Plan for Area 1 of Kalamazoo River Fact Sheet (PDF) (6pp, 350K) May 2015
- OU5 Proposed Plan with Figures and Tables (PDF) (57 pp, 1.7 MB) April 28, 2015
The public comment period was extended 30 days. The public comment period was from May 4 - July 3, 2015.
EPA held a public meeting May 19, 2015 to go over the proposed plan. You can view EPA's presentation and the meeting transcript
- Area 1 Proposed Plan slide presentation (PDF) (32 pp , 5.2 MB)
- Area 1 Proposed Plan meeting transcript (PDF) (82 pp , 323KB)
Plainwell Mill (OU7)
EPA plans to clean up contaminated soil found at Plainwell Mill or Operable Unit 7 (OU7) of the Kalamazoo River. The plan details EPA's recommended cleanup option for areas with high levels of arsenic and other contaminants. EPA plans to remove the contaminated soil, replace it with clean soil and restore the ground.
Find out more about the plan by reading Plainwell Mill Proposed Plan Fact Sheet, Proposed Plan and Proposed Plan Tables.
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan for Former Plainwell Paper Mill (PDF) (8pp, 214K) June 2015
- Plainwell Mill (OU7) Proposed Plan with Figures and Tables (PDF) (50 pp, 2.4MB) June 8, 2015
The public comment period was extended 30 days. The public comment period was from June 8 – August 8, 2015.
EPA held a public meeting June, 16, 2015 to go over the proposed plan. You can view EPA’s presentation and transcripts
- Plainwell Mill slide presentation(PDF) (38pp, 5.5MB)
- Plainwell Mill Proposed Plan meeting transcript (PDF) (86pp, 344MB)
EPA’s Feasibility Report is also available
- Feasibility Report (PDF) (262pp, 1.8MB)
- Feasibility Report - Soil (PDF) (395pp, 19MB)
- Feasibility Report - tables (PDF) (27pp, 387KB)
- Feasibility Report - figures (PDF) (2pp, 555KB)
- Feasibility Report - Appendix A(PDF) (43pp, 820KB)
- Feasibility Report - Appendix A1 (PDF) (6pp, 257KB)
- Feasibility Report - Appendix B (PDF) (36pp, 896KB)
- Feasibility Report - Appendix B1 (PDF) (7pp, 336KB)
- Feasibility Report - Appendix C (PDF) (16pp, 666KB)
- Feasibility Report - Appendix C1 (PDF) (110pp, 932KB)
- Area 1 Proposed Plan slide presentation (PDF) (32 pp , 5.2 MB) May 18, 2015
- Portage Creek Pollution reports - October 2011 - July 2014
- Kalamazoo Mill Source Report, Final (PDF) (226 pp, 44 MB) June 2009
- Final Report Peer Review of Michigan State University's PCB Exposure and Effects Studies in the Floodplain of the Kalamazoo River (PDF) (91 pp, 719 K) December 2008
- Allied Paper, Inc. Operable Unit Remedial Investigation Report - March 2008 - report text only (PDF) (175pp, 3.0MB)
- Note: The full report is very large: 403 pp and 121 MB. It is available at the repositories listed on this page. You can also request the full report on CD from Michael Berkoff (email@example.com), 312-353-8983
- Second five-year review part one (PDF) (142pp, 12.3MB) October 2012
- Second five-year review part two (PDF) (157pp, 8.89MB) October 2012
- First five-year review report (PDF) (174 pp, 10.7 MB) October 2007
- US memorandum in support of proposed settlement agreement (PDF) (58pp, 125K) April 22, 2010
in support of debtors’ motion... to approve settlement agreement among the debtors, the environmental custodial trust trustee, the United States, and certain state environmental agencies concerning Lyondell Chemical Company, et al.
- Agreement and Order on Consent (AOC), Plainwell Dam #2 (PDF) (61pp, 2.6MB) June 2009
- Administrative Settlement Agreement and Order on Consent for Plainwell Impoundment Removal (PDF) (63pp, 321K) February 2007 - includes Appendix 1: Action Memorandum
- Settlement Agreement for Supplemental Remedial Investigation/ Feasibility Study (PDF) (37pp, 4MB) February 2007
- Attachment A - Statement of Work (PDF) (36pp, 328K)
- Attachment B - Site Map (PDF) (1pg, 132K)
- Attachment C - SRI/FS Work Plan: Morrow Dam to Plainwell (PDF) (51pp, 1MB)
- Figures 3-2 to 3-11 (PDF) (10pp, 11" x 17", 16.1MB)
- Willow Boulevard Record of Decision (PDF) (76pp, 5.2MB) September 2006