- Milwaukee, WI (Milwaukee County)
- EPA ID# WID039052626
- NPL Site Narrative
- NPL Factsheet
- Site Progress Profile (CERCLIS listing)
- Alias(es): Kerr-McGee Oil Co.
Latest photos (November 2009)
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
Ross del Rosario (email@example.com)
312-886-6195 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66195
(where to view written records)
Mill Road Library
6431 N. 76th Street
An Administrative Record, which contains detailed information upon which the selected cleanup plans were based, is also located at the Mill Road Library and at the U.S. EPA Region 5 office in Chicago.
The Moss-American site comprises 88 acres including a former creosote facility and six miles of the Little Menomonee River, which is adjacent to the former facility. The Moss-American property is located at the intersection of Brown Deer and Granville Roads on Milwaukee's northwest side. About 65 acres are undeveloped Milwaukee County park land. About 23 acres are owned by the Union Pacific Railroad and are currently being used for industrial purposes. (more...)
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA is doing a status review of the cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. This is the fourth five-year review for the river and harbor. Contact the site community involvement coordinator and/or the remedial project manager to provide input on this review process.
The review will include:
- An evaluation of background information
- A summary of cleanup requirements
- A report on the effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate its groundwater treatment system more efficiently
A report, which will be available by March 2015, will detail the site's progress.
As a follow-up to the 2010 five-year review, we are looking at ways to improve the existing groundwater treatment system since our cleanup goals have not been met. This work is expected to last until 2017. EPA will continue to monitor the site through 2026 and then determine if it can be taken off the Superfund list.
The Little Menomonee River cleanup was completed in December 2009 which involved rerouting portions of the river as well as dredging contaminated sediment where rerouting wasn’t possible. In 2007, EPA issued a document (PDF) (16 pp, 2MB) to explain this process.
Although most of the river cleanup was done by previous site owner Tronox (formerly part of Kerr-McGee), the last 1,000 feet (segments 4 and 5) were done by EPA because Tronox filed for bankruptcy in early 2009.
The EPA and U.S Department of Justice announced in April 2014 that an agreement had been reached to resolve fraudulent conveyance claims against Kerr-McGee Corp. and related subsidiaries of Anadarko Petroleum Corp., the company that purchased Kerr-McGee. As the largest recovery for the cleanup of environmental contamination in U.S. history, Anadarko agreed to pay $5.1 billion to a litigation trust to be distributed to its beneficiaries. Nearly $2 billion will be paid for cleanup work associated with approximately 2,700 Superfund sites in 47 states, including Moss-American.
In addition to filing bankruptcy claims against Tronox, the United States also filed a lawsuit against Kerr-McGee Corp. and Anadarko Petroleum Corp. The United States believed that during the process of corporate restructuring, Kerr-McGee transferred its federal environmental liabilities out of Kerr-McGee and into Tronox to avoid having to pay for environmental cleanups.
- EPA Finishes Cleanup on Little Menomonee River (PDF) (4 pp, 2.0MB) January 2010
- Cleanup Nears Completion in Little Menomonee River, December 2007 (PDF) (2 pp, 265K)
- More Cleanup Scheduled in Little Menomonee River (PDF) (2 pp, 30K) December 2005
- Little Menomonee River Reroute Progresses (PDF) (4 pp, 682K) April 2004
- River Cleanup Continues (PDF) (2 pp, 98K) November 2003
- River Cleanup to Begin (PDF) (2 pp, 220K) August 2002
- Moss-American Cleanup Continues (PDF) (4 pp, 153K) August 2000
- Proposed Plan fact sheet (PDF) ( 179K) March 1998
- U.S. EPA Announces Changes in Moss-American Superfund Site Cleanup Plan (PDF) (128K) May 1997
- Explanation of Significant Differences, November 2007 (PDF) (16 pp, 2MB)
- Record of Decision Amendment, September 1998 (PDF) (40 pp, 2.0MB)
- Explanation of Significant Differences, April 1997 (PDF) (10 pp, 674K)
- Record of Decision, September 1990 (PDF) (124 pp, 5.0MB)
Five Year Reviews
- Third Five-Year review (PDF) (150 pp, 5.78MB) April 2010
- Second Five-Year review (PDF) (107 pp, 24.5MB) September 2005
- First Five-Year review (PDF) (10 pp, 626K) September 2000