Northern Engraving Co. Superfund Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
Michael Berkoff (email@example.com)
312-353-8983 or 800-621-8431, ext. 38983
(where to view written records)
The Northern Engraving facility is located in Sparta, Wisconsin and is adjacent to residential and business areas as well as the La Crosse River which forms the southern boundary of the site. The company uses anodizing, chemical etching, and chromate conversion-coating processes to produce metal name plates, dials, and decorative trim for the automotive industry. It was placed on the National Priorities List in September 1983 because of the potential for soil, ground water, and surface water contamination due to past waste water treatment and disposal practices.
The cleanup of four areas (a sludge lagoon, a seepage pit, a sludge dump site, and a lagoon drainage ditch) was completed by 1991. About 4,400 cubic yards of sludge and soil were excavated and consolidated, a cover was installed over the lagoon, access and deed restrictions were put in place, and the ground water was monitored. Cleanup goals have been achieved. The site was deleted from the National Priorities List on October 29,1997.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA completed a review of the landfill's cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.
The review included:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- Maintenance and monitoring efforts
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
The review found that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. The next scheduled review will be in 2015.
- Closeout Report (PDF) (14pp, 819K) September 1989
- Proposed plan (PDF) (10pp, 513K) 1987
- Feasibility study report (PDF) (143pp, 4.4MB) August 1987
- Fourth five-year review (PDF) (27pp, 1MB) September 2005
- Third five-year review (PDF) (42pp, 1.1MB) August 2005
- Second five-year review (PDF) (10pp, 87K) September 2000
- First five-year review (PDF) (62pp, 2.2MB) June 1994
- Administrative Order on Consent - RI/FS (AOC) (PDF) (24pp, 979K) September 1985