Community Involvement Coordinator
800-621-8431 x 31325
Remedial Project Manager
800-621-8431 x 67341
(where to view written records)
Rock Creek Public Library
2988 High St.
Rock Creek, Ohio
The Old Mill site is located on Mill Road in Rock Creek, Ohio. It consists of two parcels of land referred to as the Henfield property (three acres) and the Kraus property (10 acres). Five dilapidated wooden buildings and four concrete silos were located on the Henfield property, which was the former location of a feed mill and later a potting soil operation. Surface water flow from the Henfield property drains to the southwest corner and then to a ditch which discharges to the Rock Creek. The Kraus property was partially covered with piles of railroad ballast. Surface water flow from the Kraus property drains toward the northwest to a ditch which discharges to Badger Run and the Grand River.
In 1989, EPA cleaned up volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, caused by solvents, oils, resins, and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). An extraction system was installed to recover contaminated ground water from the shallow and deep aquifers along with a shallow aquifer intercepting trench and two monitoring wells to address an underground area of contamination (plume).
EPA has completed a status review of the cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.
The review will include:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
The review found that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. The next scheduled review will be in 2016. The Fourth Five-Year Review (PDF) (70 pp, 6.85 MB) details the site's progress.
- UPDATE - U.S. EPA Cleanup at Old Mill Site, Rock Creek, Ohio (PDF) (2 pp, 81.34 KB) - January 1983
- UPDATE - U.S. EPA Cleanup at Old Mill Site, Rock Creek, Ohio (PDF) (5 pp, 415 KB) - October 1984
- UPDATE - U.S. EPA Cleanup at Old Mill Site, Rock Creek, Ohio (PDF) (4 pp, 325 KB) - June 1985
- Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study (PDF) (277pp, 11.3 MB) December 1984
- Addendum to Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study (PDF) (129 pp, 3.95 MB) May 1985
- Record of Decision (PDF) (pp, size) August 1985
Five Year Review
- First Five-Year Review (PDF) (27 pp, 2.11 KB) January 1996
- Second Five-Year Review (PDF) (10 pp, 43 KB) September 2001
- Third Five-Year Review (PDF) (39 pp, 1.02 MB) September 2006
- Fourth Five-Year Review (PDF) (70 pp, 6.85 MB) September 2011
- Administrative Order on Consent (AOC) (PDF) (9 pp, 343 KB) February 1984
- Consent Decree (PDF) (132 pp, 4.53 MB) August 2001
- Consent Decree (PDF) (116 pp, 4.3 MB) September 2001