Ottawa Radiation Areas
- Ottawa, IL (LaSalle County)
- EPA ID# ILD980606750
- NPL Site Narrative (PDF) (3pp, 28K)
Community Involvement Coordinator
Cheryl Allen (email@example.com)
312-353-6196 or 800-621-8431, ext. 36196
Remedial Project Manager
Denise Boone (firstname.lastname@example.org)
City of Ottawa Contact
Arnie Bandstra (email@example.com)
815-433-0161 x 41
(where to view written records)
1010 Canal Street
Public Comment and Public Meeting
EPA is interested in your comments on the proposed cleanup plan.
Public Meeting Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at City Council Chambers, 301 W. Madison St., Ottawa, IL
The Ottawa Radiation Areas site, located in LaSalle County, Ill., consists of 16 areas polluted by radioactive materials. The 16 areas are scattered throughout the city of Ottawa and places outside the city. The areas were put on the National Priorities List as one site because the same wastes polluted each area.
The pollution came from the Radium Dial Co. (from 1918 to 1936) and Luminous Processes, Inc. (from 1937 to 1978). These businesses made glow-in-the-dark dials for clocks and watches using radium-based paint. Building demolition material and soil, polluted with radioactive waste, were used as fill material in the Ottawa area. Many of the 16 areas are residential sections and include some buildings.
EPA removed the polluted soil in the residential areas first and is now working to clean up the rest of the areas. EPA has cleaned up 13 areas.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- EPA Proposes Changes to Cleanup Plan (8 pp, 464K) May 2013
- EPA Proposes Changes to Plan For Vacant Properties Cleanup (8 pp, 464K) May 2010
- Cleanup Activities to Begin at Radiation Property (PDF) (2 pp, 102K) March 2009
- Cleanup Plan Proposed for Radiation Property (PDF) (6 pp, 363K) February 2007
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan for 2 Areas and Future Situations (PDF) (8 pp, 88K) July 2003
- EPA Response to Questions Posed by Area Residents (PDF) (6 pp, 694K) April 2003
- EPA Outlines Cleanup Plan for Radiation Areas (PDF) (2 pp, 69K) December 2002
- Map: Aerial Photo of Site and Surrounding Properties (PDF) (7 pp, 70K) March 2007
- Map: Site Map of all Sites (PDF) (1 pg, 70K) March 2009
- Map: Site Truck Routes During Cleanup of LPI Adjacent Area (PDF) (1 pg, 70K) March 2009
- Explanation of Significant Differences for the Luminous Processes, Inc., Adjacent Area (PDF) (7 pp, 253K) March 2007
- Record of Decision Amendment (PDF) (56 pp, 3.3MB) August 2010
- Operable Unit 2 Record of Decision (PDF) (91 pp, 2.6MB) September 2003
- Operable Unit 1 Record of Decision (PDF) (148 pp, 1.1MB) September 2000
- EPA held a public meeting on Wednesday, May 19, 2010, Report of proceedings (PDF) (43pp, 114K)
- EPA held a public meeting on Wednesday, May 19, 2010, Proposed Changes to Cleanup Plan Ottawa Radiation Areas (PDF) (46pp, 4.4MB) March 25, 2009
- EPA held a public meeting on Wednesday, March 25, 2009. Luminous Processes Inc. (LPI) Meeting Presentation (PDF) (20pp, 1.3MB) March 25, 2009
- EPA had a comment period February 12 - March 5, 2007 on the proposed cleanup plan for the parking lot known as the LPI Adjacent Area.
- A public meeting was held on Wednesday, July 30, 2003
- EPA, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety, and LaSalle County Department of Health held two availability sessions April 23, 2003.
- EPA held community interviews Jan. 15-16, 2003.