Pickens Plating, Inc.
- Albion, Michigan (Calhoun County)
- EPA ID# MIN000510460
- Superfund Site Progress Profile
- Alias(es): N/A
Community Involvement Coordinator
Janet Pope (email@example.com)
312-353-0628 or 800-621-8431, ext. 30628
Remedial Project Manager
Michigan Attorney General
PO Box 30212
Lansing, MI 48909
Michigan Department of Natural Resources
There will not be a repository
Pickens Plating, Inc. (Pickens) was founded in 1963. The building was constructed in numerous phases with work occurring during 1963, 1966, 1973, and 1978. The original plating building was constructed in 1963. The Site has been a plating facility focusing mostly on nickel plating operations for the automotive industry since it opened. In 2009, Pickens ceased operations. At its peak, Pickens employed approximately 13 people. The property was tax reverted to Calhoun County on March 31, 2010.
U.S. EPA conducted an assessment at the Site on June 4, 2010. The site assessment entailed the collection of four liquid samples and one solid sample. Both the solid and liquid samples were analyzed for pH. Based on field observations, one of the liquid samples and one of the solid samples were selected to be analyzed for heavy metals. The building at the Site was found to contain uncontrolled hazardous wastes (containers labeled chromic acid, nitric acid, sodium hydroxide, hydrogen peroxide, and hydrofluoric acid). Numerous vats, drums, and small containers of various sizes were found opened and unlabeled both inside the buildings and around the grounds. U.S. EPA quantified containers on-site that could potentially contain over 100,000 gallons of uncontrolled and unidentified liquid wastes. Four waste liquid samples were collected yielding pH resuhs that are characteristically hazardous or TCLP levels that are characteristically toxic.
U.S. EPA documented Site conditions that included no perimeter fencing, a building roof that is in disrepair and leaking, and no site security, which could allow for trespassers, vandals, and thieves to gain access to the building and property.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- EPA Begins Cleanup At Pickens Plating Superfund Site In Albion, Mich., October 19, 2010
- EPA checks second site for hazards (PDF) (2pp, 35k) 2010
- Dangerous chemical waste found in former Marshall foundry (PDF) (3pp, 87K) May 27, 2010
- EPA Conducting Cleanup At Abandoned Plant (PDF) (2pp, 171KB) October 2010
- Pollution Report #11 (PDF) (9pp, 119K) April 4, 2011
- Pollution Report #9 (PDF) (8pp, 42K) January 31, 2011
- Pollution Report #8 (PDF) (8pp, 46K) January 24, 2011
- Pollution Report #7 (PDF) (8pp, 40K) December 27, 2010
- Pollution Report #6 (PDF) (7pp, 40K) December 6, 2010
- Pollution Report #4 (PDF) (8pp, 40K) November 8, 2010
- Pollution Report #3 (PDF) (8pp, 40K) November 1, 2010
- Pollution Report #1 (PDF) (7pp, 36K) October 14, 2010
- Site Assessment Report (PDF) (42pp, 2.43MB) July 2010
- City of Albion Request of Assistance (PDF) (1pp, 316KB) June 2010
- Action Memo (PDF) (20pp, 923K) October 2010