Anderson Redevelopment Commission Scatterfield Road Site
RCRA Site Information
- Anderson, IN (Madison County)
- EPA ID# IND980503825
- RCRA Corrective Action Site
- Alias(es): Delphi E & E, Scatterfield Road Facility
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is proposing corrective environmental action on a portion of the Anderson Redevelopment Commission Scatterfield Road Facility.
Public comment ad (PDF) (2pp, 18KB) March 2013
This action concerns a land parcel in the northwestern corner of the former Delphi Energy & Engine Management facility, now owned by the Anderson Redevelopment Commission (ARC). The portion addressed here is a former degreaser area located in the now demolished Plant 7. The chemical trichloroethene (TCE) is deeply embedded in the soil at this location, and a plume of TCE in the ground water has extended off-site beneath a commercial and residential area. Concentrations of TCE and its breakdown products are at levels which do not endanger human health and the environment. Contamination has not been detected in ground water beneath the residential area beyond the commercial zone.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
In 2006, EPA approved a remedy for the former degreaser location which was proposed and constructed by General Motors as the previous site owner. This remedy involved enclosing the contaminated soil with an in-ground clay barrier to prevent release of TCE into the ground water. However, EPA and GM discovered that the below-ground barrier wall had not been properly installed in two locations, which allows contaminated ground water to continue flowing through the enclosure area. EPA now proposes a remedy for the degreaser area which involves: (1) repairing the in-ground barrier to isolate the contaminated soil, and (2) injecting oxidizing chemicals into the contaminated soil in which will destroy the TCE.Public Comment period April 8 - May 23, 2013 (PDF) (2pp, 18KB) March 2013
- Statement of Basis (PDF) (22pp, 788KB) April 2013
- Corrective Measures Proposal (PDF) (9pp, 327KB) December 2011
- Appendix B (PDF) (3pp, 92KB) December 2011
- EPA Project Manager Designation (PDF) (1pp, 66KB) July 2011
- City of Anderson Project Manager Designation (PDF) (1pp, 128KB) July 2011
- Administrative Order on Consent (Order or AOC) (PDF) (21pp, 1.8MB) July 2011