Scrap Processing Co., Inc.
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-353-1621 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31621
(where to view written records)
Frances L. Simek Memorial Library
400 N. Main St.
The 2-acre Scrap Processing site is located at 510 W. Allman St, about one mile northwest of Medford in Taylor County. It currently operates as a salvage yard. From the 1950s to the early 1980s, the company cracked lead and acid batteries to reclaim the lead that was smelted on-site. During the battery-crushing operation, nearly 400,000 gallons of acid waste, contaminated with heavy metals from the batteries, ran from the crushing area along an unlined ditch and into an unlined pond. The pond overflowed into the nearby Black River contaminating it with heavy metals and acid.
A final cleanup plan was selected in September 1997 and completed two years later. It included excavating and removing PCB and lead-contaminated soil and sediment and draining the unlined pond. By 2002, sampling results showed that the cleanup was working.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA is doing a status review of the cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. This is the third five-year review for the landfill. Contact the site community involvement coordinator and/or the remedial project manager to provide input on this review process.
The review will include:
• An evaluation of background information
• A summary of cleanup requirements
• A report on the effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
• An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
A report, which will be available by May, will detail the site's progress.
- Proposed plan (PDF) (8pp, 732K) August 1997
- Record of Decision (PDF) (55pp, 3MB) September 1997
- Focused RI/FS (PDF) (699pp, 35MB) August 1997
- Second five-year-review (PDF) April 2009 (120pp, 7.7MB)
- First five-year review (PDF) April 2004 (63pp, 1.9MB)