Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-1999 or 800-621-8431, ext. 61999
(where to view written records)
Middletown Public Library System
MidPointe West Chester Library
9363 Centre Pointe Dr.
West Chester, OH
West Chester Township
9113 Cincinnati-Dayton Road
West Chester, OH
The 78-acre Skinner Landfill site is located in southern Ohio, about 40 miles north of Cincinnati. It is located on a ridge above the east fork of Mill Creek in West Chester. While in operation from the late 1950s until July 1990, the landfill (which actually covers about 10 acres including a one-acre lagoon) accepted municipal, industrial, construction, and commercial waste including solvents, pesticides, and heavy metals.
A final cleanup plan was selected in June 1993 that included constructing a landfill cap over the landfill and lagoon area, digging and moving contaminated soil outside the area onto the landfill and covered by the cap, and intercepting, capturing and discharging contaminated ground water to the publicly owned treatment works and operating and maintaining the site for 30 years. Per a 1994 legal agreement called a consent order, several companies determined responsible for the contamination agreed to design the cleanup. Another legal agreement called a consent decree was signed in federal court 2001 and the cleanup was completed later that year.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA completed a review of the landfill's cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.
The review included:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- Maintenance and monitoring efforts
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
The review found that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. The next scheduled review will be in 2019.
- Explanation of Significant Differences (PDF) (85pp, 13.3MB) September 2012
- Record of Decision (PDF) (180pp, 6.8MB) January 1993
- U.S. EPA Re-evaluates cleanup alternatives for the Skinner Landfill Site (PDF) (10pp, 638K) December 1992 proposed plan
- Interim Record of Decision (PDF) (21pp, 1.1MB) September 1992
- Phase II Remedial Investigation (PDF) (219pp, 10.2MB) May 1991
- Feasibility Study (PDF) (433pp, 18.9MB) April 1992
- U.S. EPA Completes Investigation and Evaluation of Cleanup Alternatives for the Skinner Landfill Site (PDF) (10pp, 686K) April 1992 proposed plan
- Fourthfive-year review (PDF) (100pp, 4.5MB) March 2014
- Third five-year review (PDF) (130pp, 4.7MB) March 2009
- Second five-year review (PDF) (44pp, 499K) March 2004
- First five-year review (PDF) (4pp, 93K) March 1999
- Consent decree (PDF) (42pp, 1.1MB) April 9, 2001
- Consent decree (PDF) (200pp, 6.7MB) April 2, 2001
- Administrative Order on Consent (AOC)(PDF) (47pp, 1.5MB) March 29, 1994