East Troy Contaminated Aquifer
Community Involvement Coordinator
Virginia Narsete (email@example.com)
312-886-4359 or 800-621-8431, ext. 64359
Remedial Project Manager
Shari Kolak (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-6151 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66151
(where to view written records)
Troy-Miami County Public Library
419 W. Main St.
Troy, OH 45373
The East Troy site is an area where volatile organic compounds, including the common industrial chemicals PCE and TCE, have contaminated ground water, soil and the indoor air in basements. EPA addressed the indoor air health risk by installing vapor abatement systems in 16 homes and St. Patrick Elementary School in the summer of 2007. EPA and Ohio EPA data also shows that VOCs have contaminated ground water below the city of Troy, as well as a local drinking water well field. To address this, Ohio EPA and Troy have taken steps to contain one potential source of the contamination, and are treating contaminated ground water prior to use. Adding the site to the NPL enables EPA to study site conditions further, identify possible sources of the contamination, and develop a comprehensive strategy to address all locations and sources of the VOC contamination.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA hosted a public meeting Oct. 19 to discuss its progress on the investigation of chemical pollution underneath sections of Troy. The pollution may be giving off vapors that are seeping through foundation cracks and contaminating the indoor air of some buildings in Troy. EPA and the Ohio EPA are now considering ways to solve potential vapor intrusion problems and protect people's health. This meeting was to update residents on the progress of the RI/FS and to discuss EPA's planned sampling in residential neighborhoods.
- Presentation from Oct. 19, 2011, public meeting (PDF) (21pp, 1.28MB)
- US EPA adds East Troy site to Superfund list, proposes two Ohio and one Indiana site for list September 3, 2008
- EPA proposes East Troy, Ohio, site for Superfund National Priorities List September 19, 2007
- EPA hosts public meeting on Troy, Ohio, vapor investigation, Oct. 25, 6 p.m. October 18, 2006
- MEDIA ADVISORY: EPA finds high chemical vapor levels in Troy, Ohio. Briefing Aug. 25, 10:30 a.m. August 24, 2006
- EPA Checking for Possible Vapor Problems (PDF) (4pp, 1.8MB) October 2011
- Vapor Intrusion (VI)
- Tetrachloroethylene (PCE)
- Trichloroethylene (TCE)
- Two Studies Mark Beginning of Cleanup (PDF)(4pp, 583K) August 2010
- EPA Investigation Finds High Vapor Levels August 2006
- Presentation from Oct. 19, 2011, public meeting (PDF) (21pp, 1.3MB)
- Public Meeting (PDF) (18pp, 1.3MB) July 2010
- Meeting with City of Troy (PDF) (14pp, 2.0MB) September 2009
- East Troy Contaminated Aquifer Superfund Site: Meeting with the City of Troy (PDF) (583K) September 21, 2009
- Phase I Investigation Summary and Proposed Phase II Investigation Activities Technical Memorandum (PDF) (71pp, 6MB) July 2013
- Ohio Department of Health/ATSDR Public Health Assessment (PDF) (60pp, 18.1MB) April 22, 2011