Valleycrest Landfill Superfund Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Virginia Narsete (email@example.com)
312-886-4359 or 800-621-8431, ext. 64359
Remedial Project Manager
Dion Novak (firstname.lastname@example.org)
(where to view written records)
Burkhardt Avenue Public Library
4680 Burkhardt Avenue
Dayton, OH 45431
The Valleycrest Landfill Site is roughly 100 acres, split into two sections by Valleycrest Drive. The eastern section is about 35 acres, and the western section about 65 acres. Formally listed at 950 Brandt Pike, the site is above the Great Miami Aquifer, which is the sole source of drinking water for the city of Dayton. (more...)
- Area 5 Removal
- Area 1 Removal
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA signed a Record of Decision for the Valleycrest site on August 16, 2013. Record of Decision, North Sanitary Landfill (Valleycrest) (PDF) (172 pp, 5MB)This ROD is the final cleanup plan for the site. It includes:
- a solid waste cap
- a leachate extraction system for liquid seepage
- gas extraction wells
- NAPL extraction and disposal.
Next steps for the site cleanup include negotiations with responsible parties to implement the cleanup followed by design and construction of the remedy. EPA hopes to begin cleanup negotiations by the end of 2014.
EPA will also revise the community involvement plan, and is asking citizens if they would like to get involved. Interviews were conducted in the community for a community involvement plan.
EPA worked with several residents and the City of Dayton on a reuse plan. The plan was presented to the City of Dayton on potential re-use of the property.
EPA reached out in the Turkish and Business leaders in May 2014 giving them an update on the site. Many residents, groups and city officials were interested in becoming part of a Community Advisory Group (CAG).
EPA, helped by the Ohio EPA, is proposing to install a solid waste cap, a perimeter extraction system for liquid seepage and gas extraction wells to clean up and contain remaining waste at the North Sanitary Landfill.
A meeting is in the works to start a kickoff of a CAG in late summer once the draft community involvement plan is distributed for the community to review.
- Media Advisory: Valleycrest Landfill Site Tour, Feb. 25, 1 P.M., February 21, 2003
- EPA Awards $50,000 Technical Assistance Grant to Dayton Community Group February 8, 2002
- EPA Continues Removal Action at Valleycrest Landfill April 25, 2001
- EPA Proposes Change for Valleycrest Landfill Cleanup; Public Meeting Feb. 7 February 2001
- Valleycrest Landfill Cleanup Web Site Expanded - May 4, 2000
- EPA: Valleycrest Landfill Cleanup to Continue through 2001 September 1999
- EPA: Meeting on Valleycrest Landfill December 1998
- Cleanup Begins at Valleycrest Landfill Site November 1998
- Construction to Begin Next Week at Valleycrest Landfill June 1998
- EPA Proposed Cleanup Plan Includes Capping (PDF) (8 pp, 177K) July 2012
- Valleycrest Bulletin (PDF) (7 pp, 1.2MB) January 2003
- EPA Fact Sheet (PDF) (4 pp, 774K) 1999
- Record of Decision, North Sanitary Landfill (Valleycrest) (PDF) (172 pp, 5MB) August 2013
- Proposed Plan – North Sanitary Landfill (Valleycrest) Presentation (PDF) (34pp, 2.1MB) August 2012
- State Concurrence letter (PDF) (2pp, 58K) Aug. 3, 2012
- Memorandum: Toxic Substances Control Act program review and concurrence on risk-based disposal of PCB-contaminated material (PDF) (2 pp, 358K) Aug. 10, 2012
- North Sanitary Landfill (Valleycrest) Site Proposed Plan (PDF) (40 pp, 3.7MB) July 2012
- Memorandum: Risk-based disposal of PCB-contaminated material (PDF) (2 pp, 340K) July 19, 2012
- Addendum to the Feasibility Study Report for the North Sanitary Landfill, a/k/a Valleycrest, Superfund Site, in North Dayton (PDF) (10 pp, 1.09MB ) July 2012
- Area 1 Pollution Report #2 (PDF) (11 pp, 155K) December 2002
- Area 1 Pollution Report #1 (PDF) (7 pp, 132K) April 2002
- Area 5 Pollution Report #17 and Final (PDF) (7 pp, 132K) February 2002
- EPA held a public meeting February 25, 2003 at Stebbins High School.