Western Mineral Products Site
- Minneapolis, MN (Hennepin County)
- EPA ID# MNN000508056
- CERCLIS listing
Community Involvement Coordinator
Cheryl Allen (email@example.com)
312-353-6196 or 800-621-8431, ext. 36196
(where to view written records)
Minneapolis Public Library Northeast
2200 Central Avenue Northeast
Minneapolis, MN 55418
The site is composed of industrial property in northeast Minneapolis. Western Mineral Products, Inc. was purchased in 1963 by W.R. Grace Co. to manufacture vermiculite insulation from vermiculite ore that was mined in Libby, MT. The Minneapolis facility operated from the late 1930s to te late 1980s. During operations, piles of waste vermiculite rock were placed outside the facilitity. This rock was offered to anyone free of charge. Residents in Logan Park and other neighborhoods may have used this material for driveway or yard fill, in pet enclosures, gardens, barbecue pits, children's sand boxes, or carried it in the trunks of their cars for traction in the snow. Unfortunately, the vermiculite ore from Libby was found to contain high levels of tremolite asbestos. The waste material, "crushed rock" or "stoner rock" also contains high levels of asbestos. In February 2000, EPA conducted a site assessment of the former Western Mineral Products site. Currently, owners of the industrial site (Madison Complex) are participating in a voluntary cleanup program under the direction of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.
Were you looking for the Northeast Minneapolis Tremolite Asbestos Site?
The Northeast Minneapolis Tremolite Asbestos Site is located in Minneapolis, MN also.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- EPA to test for asbestos in northeast Minneapolis; meeting Sept. 16, 6:30 p.m. September 09, 2008
- EPA wraps up $2.3 million Gluek Park cleanup October 13, 2006
- Media Advisory and Photo-Opportunity: EPA wraps up Gluek Park cleanup; briefing at park, Friday, Oct. 13, 11:30 a.m. October 11, 2006
- Gluek Park cleanup under way; $3 million project continues through summer June 21, 2005
- Tests Show No Health Threat from ‘Libby’ Asbestos (PDF) (2pp, 608K) January 2012
- On October 13, 2006, EPA completed the removal action at Gluek Park. During spring 2007, the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board will complete the restoration and reforestation of the Park and it will be re-opened to the public. EPA will pay up to $58,000 for reforestation costs. Once this payment is made, the project will be complete and will be closed. All residential properties identified for clean up, and which granted access, were cleaned up. All requested inspections were completed, and no further work is pending. Also in October 2006, EPA completed additional removal work at the former Western Mineral Products Industrial site. The work at this location is now completed. (December 2006)
- Summer Cleanup Planned for Gluek Park, June 2005 flyer
- EPA Sets June 1 Deadline for Property Inspection Requests (PDF) (4pp, 191K) May 2002
- Site Cleanup to Resume in Spring, February 2001 (PDF) (4pp, 170K) February 2001