Underground Storage Tanks/Leaking Underground Tanks (UST/LUST)
Region 5 Waste Areas
- Underground Storage Tanks (USTs) - Owning and operating
- Leaking Underground Storage Tanks (LUST) - corrective action measures and multi-site cleanup approaches
- Used Oil
- Petroleum Brownfields: Cleanup and reuse of abandoned gas stations
- State Tank Databases
If not properly maintained, underground storage tanks (USTs) can harm human health and the environment by leaking or allowing spills or overflows into soil and groundwater. The UST program prevents, detects, and cleans up releases from USTs containing petroleum or hazardous substances.
UST Program Priorities
- clean up and reuse abandoned gas stations
- improve compliance with UST requirements
- reduce the cleanup backlog
- evaluate UST system performance
The UST/LUST regulations (40 CFR Parts 280, 281 and 282) are authorized under Subtitle I of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA).