The following documents provided by EPA is an Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format ( PDF) file. For more information about PDFs, visit the About PDF page.
Region 5 Used Oil Contact
Sue Rodenbeck Brauer (firstname.lastname@example.org) 312-353-6134
U.S. EPA, Region 5 (DW-8J)
77 West Jackson Boulevard
Chicago, Illinois 60604-3590
Used oil is exactly what its name implies, any petroleum-based or synthetic that has been used. During normal use, impurities such as dirt, metal scrapings, water or chemicals, can get mixed in with the oil, so that in time, the oil no longer performs well. Eventually, this used oil must be replaced with virgin or re-refined oil to do the job correctly.
The following links will help you to find out more about how you can responsibly manage used oil at home, or what you must do at your business to handle used oil.
- Guidance and Summary of Information Regarding the RCRA Used Oil Rebuttable Presumption (PDF) (47pp, 247K) March 2005
- U.S. EPA's Protocol for Conducting Environmental Compliance Audits of Used Oil . . . Generators under RCRA (PDF) (153pp, 1MB)
- Used Oil Management Program
- RCRA Information Center
- CCAR-Greenlink Environmental Compliance for the Automotive Industry
- Environmental Compliance for Auto Recyclers (state-specific)