EPA's Region 6 Office
Serving: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and 66 Tribal Nations
We internally surveyed our employees, researched other EPA Regions, state and local efforts, analyzed our States’ carbon sources, and formulated a strategy that prioritizes our activities across four, action-oriented categories
- Conserving energy and resources
- Reducing greenhouse gases
- Adapting to climate change impacts
- Promoting clean/renewable energy sources
We will accomplish our goals through:
- Implementing internal changes so we can lead by example
- Enhancing programs and policies and expanding partnerships
- Conducting aggressive outreach and education to stakeholders
- Assessing new technologies and more effective ways of employ them with our partners
In implementing our strategy, we will enhance our collaborative partnership efforts with our State and Tribal partners, local governments, the private sector and the public at large, to leverage our resources in achieving our goals.
To facilitate these efforts, we will develop an Eco challenge network that will help publicize and market these partnership efforts so that interested organizations can more easily become active partners.
We will work to reduce our own carbon footprint in our day-to-day operations in our Dallas Regional Office and Houston laboratory.
We will support greenhouse gas mitigation efforts through sequestration where possible, promote landscape scale coastal protection effects from climate change, and promote the use of previously contaminated lands for alternative and renewable energy production.
EPA Region 6 understands that clean energy and climate change will be an emerging and challenging aspect of environmental protection in the future and our strategy will be revised depending on enabling legislation and needs.