Information about Mercury
Where You Live
Spills, Cleanup & Disposal
Fish Consumption Advisories
Power Plant Emissions
Links & Resources
Data & Publications
Grants & Funding
Laws & Regulations
Science & Technology
These pages provide information about mercury in the Central Plains states, including regional sources of mercury and local fish consumption advisories. For basic information about mercury, its health effects, how to handle spills and to learn what EPA is doing to reduce mercury emissions, select from the topics listed below or visit the national mercury home page.
In order to find a complete listing of any Region 7 references to mercury, visit the Topics and type the word "mercury" into the search box at the top of the page.
“Mercury: An Educator's Toolkit” is a two-disc DVD and CD package that contains a variety of activities, educational videos, and other information designed to enhance students' understanding of mercury and its potential health hazards.
Toolkits are available to teachers in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska. For more information or to get a free copy of the toolkit, contact Denise Morrison, Office of Public Affairs.
We want feedback from schools that have used the Toolkit.
- Mercury Releases and Spills page
- Mercury Quick Facts: Health Effects of Mercury Exposure(2 pp, 159K About PDF)
- Mercury Quick Facts for School Nurses(4 pp, 265K About PDF)
- Evaluating Mercury Exposure: Information for Health Care Providers(2 pp, 86K About PDF)
- Mercury Alert for Plumbing, Heating and Cooling Contractors Association
- Mercury Thermostats
- Mercury Honeywell Heat Generators
- Mercury Gas Regulators
Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR)
- Information on Environmental and Health Hazards Associated with Discarded Electronics
- Iowa Fish Consumption Advisories
- Mercury Recycling
- Mercury Switch Removal from Vehicles
- Mercury Thermostat Recycling
- Management of Fluorescent Lamps for Businesses
Iowa Waste Reduction Center (IWRC)
Kansas State University Small Business Environmental Assistance Program Information for Dentists and other Health Care Providers
- Fact Sheet Addressing Dental Mercury titled, "Mercury in the Environment: Coming from your Business" (2 pp, 16K, About PDF)
- Curriculum for Kansas Dental Schools titled, "The Proper Place for Dental Mercury"
- Fact Sheet Providing Information, Case Studies and Resources Regarding the Kansas Hospitals for a Healthy Environment Program. (6 pp, 1.1M, About PDF)
- Fact Sheet Providing Guidance on Management of Dental Amalgam Waste ( 2 pp, 31K, About PDF)
Missouri Department of Natural Resources
- Heavy Metal Matters: General Information About Mercury
- Overview of DNR fish tissue monitoring
- Mercury Information
Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission