Where Do I Get My CAFO Permits?
All CAFOs that discharge pollutants to surface waters of the U.S. must have National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits or they are in violation of the Clean Water Act. If a CAFO plans construction activities that disturb more than one acre of land, a stormwater permit during construction is also needed.
• For most CAFOs, the NPDES permit and the stormwater construction permit will be issued by the state that the CAFO is located in. For information on how to obtain these permits, please contact the appropriate state agency below:
State CAFO contacts
State Stormwater contacts
• If a CAFO is on Indian Country (see map of tribal lands), you will need to obtain both the NPDES permit and the stormwater construction permit from EPA.
EPA Permit Applications and Information – CAFOs on Indian Country:
To obtain an NPDES permit for a CAFO on Indian Country, the two permit application forms below need to be filled out and submitted to EPA. Instructions for filling out the forms and submitting them are included with the forms.
- NPDES Form 1 Application - General Information - Consolidated Permits Program (PDF) (15 pp, 713K, About PDF)
- NPDES Form 2B Application - Application for Permit to Discharge Wastewater - Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations and Aquatic Animal Production Facilities (PDF) (5 pp, 256K, About PDF)
For further information on obtaining an EPA-issued NPDES permit for a CAFO, please choose the appropriate Region 7 contact below:
EPA Region 7 CAFO contacts
If a CAFO on Indian Country plans construction activities that will disturb more than one acre of land, coverage by EPA’s general stormwater construction permit is needed. This permit covers construction activity on Indian Country in EPA Region 7 (see map of tribal lands). A copy of the permit can viewed here:
If you wish to have your construction activity covered by this permit, you should fill out and submit the Notice of Intent (NOI) form below and comply with the permit requirements. Instructions for filling out the NOI form and submitting it are included with the form.
- Notice of Intent (NOI) for Stormwater Discharges Associated with Construction Activity - Application form for construction general permit (CGP) where EPA is the NPDES permitting authority: http://cfpub.epa.gov/npdes/docs.cfm?document_type_id=8&view=Permit%20Applications%20and%20Forms&program_id=6&sort=name
For further information on obtaining an EPA-issued general stormwater construction permit, please choose the appropriate Region 7 contact below: