Pacific Southwest, Region 9
Serving: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Pacific Islands, Tribal Nations
Siemens Carbon Regeneration Facility
(formerly US Filter Westates)
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Adobe Reader.
All facilities that treat, store or dispose of hazardous waste require a RCRA permit. Facilities that were operating prior to the effective date of the permitting regulations were granted interim status pending the receipt of their permit application. EPA determined that carbon regeneration facilities like Siemens required a RCRA permit, and therefore Siemens as an operating facility was granted interim status in 1992.
Siemens submitted their permit application in 1995. EPA reviewed their permit application and issued comments requesting additional information to make a permit decision. Subsequently Siemens submitted a revised application in February 2003 and USEPA responded with additional comments requesting additional information in 2005. Siemens responded to the USEPA comments and resubmitted the revised application in 2007.
USEPA submitted comments to the Siemens facility on the Part B application in September 28, 2011 and comments on the Closure Plans and the Financial Assurance mechanism on December 14, 2011. Siemens is in the process of revising the Part B application to incorporate USEPA’s both sets of comments into the Part B application. The revised Part B is due to USEPA on April 30th, 2012.
Once EPA receives the revised permit application and reviews it, we will determine if the permit application is complete and technically accurate, and then EPA will make a proposed decision on whether to deny or grant the permit and open a 45 day Public Comment Period.
EPA would like to hear from you throughout the review of Siemens' permit application. EPA will hold several public workshops in Parker leading up to the draft permit decision. At these workshops EPA answers questions and concerns from the community, and provides information about Siemens. EPA will also schedule a formal public hearing when the agency issues a public notice detailing the draft permit decision.
Permit Application dated February 2007
- Cover 1: Carbon Reactivation Facility RCRA Part B Permit Application (PDF) (1 pg, 38K)
- Cover 2: Carbon Reactivation Facility RCRA Part B Permit Application (PDF) (1 pg, 38K)
- Seimens RCRA B TOC (PDF) (2 pp, 14K)
- Section A: Part A Discussion (PDF) (3 pp, 15K)
- Section B: Facility Description (PDF) (13 pp, 155K)
- Section C: Spent Carbon Characteristics (PDF) (29 pp, 110K)
- Section D: Process Information (PDF) (24 pp, 89K)
- Section E: Groundwater (PDF) (3 pp, 14K)
- Section F: Procedures To Prevent Hazards (PDF) (17 pp, 98K)
- Section G: Contingency Plan (PDF) (3 pp, 13K)
- Section H: Personnel Training Program (PDF) (16 pp, 39K)
- Section I: Closure Plan, Closure Cost Estimate And Financial Assurance (PDF) (3 pp, 14K)
- Section J: Solid Waste Management Units (PDF) (12 pp, 415K)
- Section K: Other Federal Laws (PDF) (3 pp, 14K)
- Section L: Certification (PDF) (3 pp, 55K)
- Section M: Subpart AA Process Vents (PDF) (3 pp, 13K)
- Section N: Subpart BB Equipment Leaks (PDF) (3 pp, 13K)
- Section O: Subpart CC Air Emission Standards (PDF) (13 pp, 3K)
- Section P: Exposure Information (PDF) (3 pp, 14K)
- Appendix I: Permit Application (PDF) (36 pp, 13MB)
- Appendix II: Topographic Map (PDF) (9 pp, 12MB)
- Appendix III: Site Diagrams (PDF) (13 pp, 2MB)
- Appendix IV: Waste Analysis Plan (PDF) (41 pp, 1MB)
- Appendix V: RF-2 Performance Demonstration Test Report (PDF) (121 pp, 2MB)
- Appendix VI: Process Flow Diagrams And Piping And Instrumentation Diagrams (PDF) (19 pp, 2MB)
- Appendix VII: Container Storage Area Concrete Pad Engineering Evaluation (PDF) (8 pp, 696K)
- Appendix VIII: Spent Carbon Container Specifications (PDF) (18 pp, 3MB)
- Appendix IX: Hazardous Waste Tank System Assessment, Design Drawings, And Containment Calculations (PDF) (178 pp, 24.5MB)
- Appendix X: RF-2 Equipment Drawings And Specifications (PDF) (49 pp, 3MB)
- Appendix XI: Risk Assessment Work Plan (PDF) (23 pp, 132K)
- Appendix XII: Inspection Schedule And Checklists (PDF) (5 pp, 46K)
- Appendix XIII: Contingency Plan (PDF) (72 pp, 682K)
- Revised Contingency Plan Contacts (1pg, 26K)
- Appendix XIV: Training Syllabus Outline And Training Summary (PDF) (6 pp, 36K)
- Appendix XV: Closure Plan (PDF) (67 pp, 443K)
- Appendix XVI: Subpart CC Compliance Plan (PDF) (12 pp, 62K)
- Appendix XVII: Records Retention Requirements (PDF) (6 pp, 35K)
|Region 9 NewsroomRegion 9 Programs||Grants & Funding US-Mexico Border||Media Center Careers||About Region 9A-Z Index|