Jump to main content.


EPA requires timely reporting from the entities it regulates. These reports come in a variety of forms and cover a variety of topics, from oil spills to the release of dangerous substances into the water or air.

Compliance Resources

Construction & Demolition

  • Stormwater: In states where EPA is the stormwater permitting authority, a construction Notice of Intent (NOI) must be received by the NOI Center before EPA will authorize coverage under the Construction General Permit (CGP). In states that have been authorized to implement the stormwater program, you must file an application with your state authorities to apply for an individual permit or for coverage under a statewide general permit.

Fuel and Fuel Additives

  • Fuels and Fuel Additives Reporting Forms: A variety of EPA Fuels Programs require submission of forms by manufacturers and importers of gasoline, diesel fuel (including biodiesel) and fuel additives.

EPA's Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program

  • EPA’s Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program requires facilities that directly emit greenhouse gases (GHGs) and  suppliers of certain products such as natural gas, or industrial gases (including certain refrigerants) to report greenhouse gas data to EPA.  Regulations for this program were developed in response to the FY2008 Consolidated Appropriations Act and are codified at 40 CFR Part 98. Retailers may be especially interested in reporting requirements under subpart QQ of the GHG Reporting Program which requires reporting from suppliers that import or export equipment pre-charged with fluorinated GHGs or containing fluorinated GHGs in closed-cell foams. Such equipment includes refrigerators, dehumidifiers, window air conditioners, and air-conditioning condensing units as well as insulating foam boards. Suppliers must report to EPA if the products imported or exported collectively contain GHGs equal to or greater than 25,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) per year. As an example, this threshold would likely be met if a retailer imports 100,000 refrigerators per year. That retailer would need to report the GHG data on these imports to EPA. Depending on the chemicals used and the type(s) of equipment imported, lower numbers of imported units could exceed the threshold. All reporting suppliers must first register their company through EPA’s electronic Greenhouse Gas Reporting Tool (e-GGRT). 
  • How to register to report through e-GGRT
  • General information on the GHG Reporting Program
  • Regulations, information sheets, and monitoring checklists on subpart QQ
  • Overview slides on subpart QQ Reporting
  • Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program Help Center
  • Send your questions to ghgreporting@epa.gov

Motor Vehicle Service and Repair

Top of page

New Chemical Imports

Legal requirements can apply to a wide range of chemical substances and can impact importers and exporters. Section 8 of TSCA authorizes EPA to require persons engaged in the manufacture (includes import), processing, and distribution in commerce of TSCA-covered chemical substances and mixtures to keep certain records and report certain information to EPA.

Top of page

Refrigeration/Air Conditioning

  • Producers, importers, and exporters of ozone-depleting substances such as HCFCs must comply with reporting and recordkeeping requirements.
  • Leak repair notifications may be triggered when an owner or operator of an industrial process refrigeration system discovers that refrigerant is leaking at a rate that would exceed 35 percent of the total charge in a 12-month period.
  • Refrigerant Reclaimers must maintain records that include the quantity of material sent to them for reclamation, the mass of refrigerant reclaimed and related waste products. They must submit information to EPA annually within 30 days of the end of the calendar year.

Top of page

Spills and Releases

  • Any person or organization responsible for a release or an oil spill or hazardous substance release is required to notify the federal government when the amount reaches a federally-determined limit. States also may have separate reporting requirements.
  • RQ Calculator enter the name of a hazardous substance or its Chemical Abstract Service (CAS) number in the field above to look up its Reportable Quantity (RQ) or to evaluate whether a release to the environment must be reported to the National Response Center.

Top of page

Waste Management

Top of page


Local Navigation

Jump to main content.