Healthy School Environments
Extra Credit for a Healthier School
There are many ways to create healthy school environments beyond what you can find on this website. This section provides information on student curricula you may use as well as EPA and other partners' initiatives to engage the community in activities to improve children's health and safety.
In this section...
EPA Tools: What You Can Do
- The Environmental Education website from EPA offers resources for teachers and students to increase public awareness and knowledge of environmental issues or problems and to help them make informed decisions and take responsible action. The website includes information on awards for teachers and youth as well as environmental education grants.
- EPA for Students, Educators and Parents offers games and quizzes, homework resources, information on science fair or community service projects, lesson plans, teacher guides and environmental education resources.
- EPA's Student Curriculum: Recipes for Healthy Kids and a Healthy Environment is a nine-lesson program designed to excite kids about environmental health and empower them to take steps in their everyday lives to improve the environment for their community and reduce their environmental risk.
- Energy Star Kids engages children in becoming more energy efficient using fun facts, games, activity books and more. The website includes an area for parents and teachers.
- OnCampus ecoAmbassadors is an EPA program that encourages students to help green their campuses, promote environmental awareness and carry out the EPA's mission to protect human health and the environment.
- MyEnvironment is a search tool on the EPA website that presents customized environmental data for any geographic location in the U.S., including local information on air and water quality, energy usage, environmental reports and pollutants and environmental impacts on health.
- SunWise is an environmental and health education program from EPA that aims to teach children and their caregivers how to protect themselves from overexposure to the sun. Through the use of classroom, school and community components, SunWise seeks to develop sustained sun-safe behaviors.
- Managing Your Environmental Responsibilities: A Planning Guide for Construction and Development is an EPA guidance manual for owners, contractors, architects and other personnel involved with construction and development that provides comprehensive environmental information to assist with pre-construction and construction phases as well as continuing self-audits.
- Protecting the Environment: At School answers frequently asked questions and links to EPA resources to protect kids' health and school environments.