EPA helps communities grow in ways that expand economic opportunity, protect public health and the environment, and create and enhance the places that people love. Through research, tools, partnerships, case studies, grants, and technical assistance, EPA is helping America's communities turn their visions of the future into reality.
- Building Blocks for Sustainable Communities
- Communities are invited to apply for free technical assistance to help them implement smart growth approaches by Thursday, Nov. 20, 2014, 5 p.m. EDT. This assistance is led by EPA. Attend the free webinar on Thursday, Oct. 30, 2014, 3:00-4:00 EDT. Read the press release
- Communities may apply for free technical assistance from EPA grantee Smart Growth America by Thursday, Oct. 23, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT.
- Partnership for Sustainable Communities: Five Years of Learning from Communities and Coordinating Federal Investments (PDF) (24 pp, 17.9 MB, About PDF) - This report commemorating the fifth anniversary of the HUD-DOT-EPA Partnership for Sustainable Communities shows how the three agencies are changing their policies and removing barriers to help communities provide more housing choices, make transportation systems more efficient and reliable, and create vibrant neighborhoods while protecting the environment. Read the press release.
Managing Vacant and Abandoned Property in the Green Zone of Saginaw, Michigan focuses on options for managing land use and infrastructure in the Green Zone, a 350-acre neighborhood in northeast Saginaw. It provides information useful to any community seeking to return vacant and abandoned properties to productive use.
- Planning for Flood Recovery and Long-Term Resilience in Vermont: Smart Growth Approaches for Disaster-Resilient Communities is the product of a technical assistance project with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the state of Vermont, and the Mad River Valley Planning District on how communities can recover from flood impacts and become more resilient to future disasters.
Flood Resilience Checklist: Use this new tool to determine whether your community is prepared for a flood.
- Learn more about our Building Blocks for Sustainable Communities Program and our Request for Letters of Interest on Thursday, Oct. 30, 3:00-4:00 Eastern.
- Join us for Creating a Green Infrastructure Plan to Transform Your Community on Tuesday, Nov. 18, 3:00-4:30 Eastern.
- Get the latest news on EPA Smart Growth publications, webinars, technical assistance opportunities, and more on our Smart Growth Listserv. Want more news on smart growth? Sign up for our Twitter feed @EPASmartGrowth.
About Smart Growth
Learn about smart growth issues and environmental benefits. Find information about specific topics, resources, and examples of smart growth development, including the National Award for Smart Growth Achievement.
EPA is a Smart Growth Network partner.