Rail Carrier Frequently Asked Questions
EPA maintains answers to frequent questions about many topics in searchable databases; in addition, many individual offices and programs maintain Frequent Questions Web pages.
Click on the questions below to see detailed answers.
Joining SmartWay as a Rail Carrier
- What does it mean to become a SmartWay Rail Carrier?
As a SmartWay Rail Carrier, your commitment begins with filling out the Freight Logistics Environmental and Energy Tracking (FLEET) Performance Model, which helps you quantify the environmental performance of your operations. When you send in your model and partnership agreement, you agree to set and strive for attainment of environmental and fuel efficiency goals within three years that improve the environment and your bottom line. You will also be listed as a SmartWay Partner on the SmartWay Partner/Affiliate List.
- Who is eligible to become a SmartWay Rail Carrier?
Any domestic freight rail carrier can join SmartWay.
- What's in it for me?
Plenty! When you commit to improving your freight-carrying operations, you will see reduced fuel use and maintenance costs. And that means you'll be keeping more money where it belongs - with your company. Plus, many large shippers are Partners in SmartWay, and they are committed to using SmartWay Rail Carriers to haul their freight. By performing your baseline assessment and making improvements to your fleet, you stand out in the crowd. The better your performance the more appealing your company becomes when shippers decide which companies will haul their freight.
To help you get there, SmartWay Transport:
- Provides technical assistance to help you quantify fuel savings and emissions;
- Recommends carrier strategies to help you reduce your fuel consumption and emissions; and,
- Assists you in developing and achieving your goals, overcoming challenges, and creating incentives for increasing efficiency.
And, when you make progress on your goals, SmartWay Transport will:
- Promote your company through regional and national events, articles, and awards; and,
- Allow you to use the SmartWay Transport partner logo to further position your company as a leader in environmental achievement.