This page contains the latest news about the SmartWay program and its partners.
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
Added October 2013
October 22, 2013: EPA SmartWay Honors Freight Industry Leaders for Supply Chain Efficiency
EPA honors 55 companies with its 2013 SmartWay Excellence Awards as true industry leaders in supply chain environmental and energy efficiency. These top industry leaders have optimized the environmental performance and efficiency of their freight management operations as a step toward reducing their carbon footprint, saving fuel and strengthening their environmental performance.
Added September 2013
- September 13, 2013: New Public Service Announcement (PSA) Campaign Shows Shippers the SmartWay to Move Goods: Our new "Side-By-Side" ad uses a stark visual contrast and draws a quick comparison between doing things the SmartWay and doing things the UnSmart Way -- namely, either choose to ship the SmartWay and reap the benefits or keep on doing what you're doing. To see the ad, pick up the September edition of Beverage Industry, Stores Magazine, Grocery HQ, Convenience Store News, Chain Drug Review, Food Manufacturers, and Refrigerated & Frozen Food.
Added August 2013
- August 1, 2013: SmartWay Logo Use Extended to All Partners!
EPA is making the SmartWay Partner Logo available to all shipper, logistics, truck, rail and multimodal carrier Partners as a reflection of your commitment to the Partnership. Effective October 1, 2013, all Partners in good standing will qualify to use the logo! (To be considered a Partner in good standing, member companies must have an approved Partner Tool on file that was submitted by the due date.) Partners are encouraged use the SmartWay Partner Logo to promote their participation in SmartWay and their environmental leadership and achievements in freight sustainability. Use the Partner Logo on promotional materials (e.g. brochures, posters, letterhead, etc.), corporate reports, advertising and company websites. This new access to the SmartWay logo allows Partners to be readily and easily identifiable to customers, clients, and the public, providing a straightforward means of distinguishing participating companies from others within the freight sector. For more details about SmartWay Brand Guidelines, visit: http://www.epa.gov/smartway/partner-resources/logo-use-guidelines.htm.
Added July 2013
SmartWay Alternative Clean Air Transportation (ACT) Sessions Highlight Partner Success.
- Con-Way Freight and Menlo Worldwide Logistics presentation (PDF) (6 pp, 1.5M, July 2013)
- Kimberly-Clark presentation (PDF) (9 pp, 857K, July 2013)
- Knight Transportation presentation (PDF) (9 pp, 1M, July 2013)
- NFI presentation (PDF) (13 pp, 1.3M, July 2013)
- American Shipper, a journal of Global Trade & Logistics - www. AmericanShipper.com.
- Fleet Owner, a journal targeted to managers of commercial trucking fleets - www.fleetowner.com/.
- Fuels Fix e-zine, a collaboration between the U.S. DOE Clean Cities programs and their partners serving as a venue to celebrate and showcase alternative fuel news happening across the nation - www.FuelsFix.com
EPA SmartWay participated this year in the 2013 Alternative Clean Transportation (ACT) Expo, contributing to the national dialogue on alternative fuels and freight sustainability. SmartWay hosted a training session to highlight the features of the partnership. During a subsequent session, several partners provided their perspective on SmartWay and how it has strengthened and contributed to the progress their organizations are making to improve freight sustainability. SmartWay partners on hand included representatives from Con-Way Freight and Menlo Worldwide Logistics, Kimberly-Clark, Knight Transportation, SC Johnson and NFI.
Media Honor Roll: Reduce Your Carbon Footprint Ad
Reduce Your Carbon Footprint is a new public service ad targeted toward shipper companies. The ad (PDF) (1 pp, 156K, EPA-420-F-13-020, March 2013) encourages businesses to reduce their carbon footprint by partnering with SmartWay. Reduce Your Carbon Footprint is also available to our partners as a tool for raising awareness of the goals and benefits of the SmartWay program among your industry peers.
EPA wishes to thank the following fine publications for their generosity in supporting our outreach efforts.