SMM EC Related Links
SECTION I: EPAíS SMM ELECTRONICS CHALLENGE PROGRAMíS GOAL
The goal of EPA's Sustainable Materials Management (SMM) Electronics Challenge is to advance the responsible management of used electronics by challenging manufacturers and retailers of electronics to voluntarily strive to send 100 percent of used electronics collected for reuse and recycling to third-party certified recyclers*, increase the total amount of used electronics collected for reuse and recycling, and publically post information and data.
*Note: Currently, e-Stewards® and Responsible Recycling Practices (R2) are the only recognized certification standards for recyclers. However, EPA may recognize additional standards at a later date.
SECTION II: PARTICIPANT PLEDGE
As an EPA SMM Electronics Challenge participant, my organization shares EPAís goals as outlined above, and commits to:
- Strive to send 100 percent of used electronics collected from all collection streams (e.g., consumer, warranty and return, business to business and internal equipment) to recyclers or refurbishers that have been certified to a recognized third-party certification program.
- Submit baseline data within 6 months of registration.
- Submit annual data, according to participation tier, to EPA.
- Post commitments, policies and data on the participantís web site using the EPA-provided templates.
With this agreement, my organization also intends to reach the following tier category as described in the SMM Electronics Challenge Tiers of Participation document (6 pp, 534 KB, about PDF): BRONZE, SILVER, GOLD (Select button below when sending participant contact information).
SECTION III: EPAíS COMMITMENTS TO PARTICIPANTS
- Respond promptly to Registrant and Participant requests for information or clarification on EPAís SMM Electronics Challenge.
- Provide public recognition by listing all organizations who sign the Pledge as REGISTRANTS on EPAís website.
- Review each participantís baseline data, goals and public posting to verify eligibility to be listed as a NEW PARTICIPANT on EPAís website.
- Routinely assess each participantís submission and public posting of annual data and information to verify eligibility to receive recognition as a Bronze, Silver, or Gold ACTIVE PARTICIPANT on EPAís website.
- Provide access to and maintenance of an online reporting and data management system.
SECTION IV: GENERAL TERMS AND DISCLAIMERS
- Either party can terminate this agreement at any time without prior notification and with no further obligation. EPA will not comment publically regarding the withdrawal of participants.
- Participant agrees that the activities it undertakes connected with this voluntary agreement are not intended to provide services to the federal government and that the participant will not seek compensation from a federal agency.
- Participant agrees that it will not claim or imply that its participation constitutes EPA approval or endorsement of anything other than its participation in the SMM Electronics Challenge and will not make statements or imply that EPA endorses the participant or the purchase or sale of the participantís products and services or the views of the participantís organization.
- EPA may publish information about the participantís accomplishments.
- EPA may use the participantís logo in certain EPA communication materials.
- EPA may periodically revise eligibility requirements.
- Failure to comply with any of the terms of this agreement can result in EPA removing a registrant or participant from the SMM Electronics Challenge and terminating access to its benefits, including use of the online data management system.
- All commitments made by EPA are subject to the availability of appropriated funds.
SECTION V: CONTACT INFORMATION